Today was my last teaching day before I am off until September 2012.
It was also a fog day, so no busses ran. I learned that news on the way to school, and though these kinds of days are usually very welcome, this morning I wasn't too thrilled- I had wanted to be able to properly say goodbye to my kids. Malia was even supposed to come too, excpet that she was to be "Amie du Jour" at her own school, and didn't want to miss it.
I was about 2 minutes late getting down to my first period b/c I figured no one would show, especially on a friday before a long weekend, when they didn't have to, but 2 kids were standing waiting for me. After opening exercises, I told them I was going to run back upstairs and get them some treats, but they each took one of my arms, and said no I wasn't, that they had a treat for me.
They led me from the practice/drama room onto the stage, and as my eyes adjusted to the semi-light, I realized the rest of my kids, plus a few more bodies were lying on the floor in various positions. I saw 2 of my musicians with a guitar and a keyboard. I immediately started bawling.
They led me down to the front row where I was treated to a original musical comedy number based on my experience with them.
I was thanking them, trying to see through tears of laughter and gratitude when they told me it wasn't over, and all lined up on the stage to tell me, individually, what I have meant to them and why.
Then out came this ENORMOUS cake in the shape of a 4 leaf clover that on othe had made. (pics to follow as soon as they send them to me :)
They capped their amazing gift with a HUGE, beautiful hand-made card, with personal notes to me, inside.
We then just sat and chatted until 2nd period. At the beginning of lunch, they all came to find me for one last hug, and left for the day. They were basically the only kids at school, and had come just to say goodbye to me.
And, this is why I, and soooo many teachers do it. It's not the paycheque (though, yes, that is definitely sweet when you are category A4 and top seniority), and it certainly isn't prestige (and if anyone is in this area, you know how berated our Board has been these last few weeks...)- it is the kids, pure and simple. Most of the ones from this morning, I have had a long time, and b/c of that we have had ups AND downs- I am on them ALL THE TIME- no free rides. Yet, they "get it", and they appreciate it. They know I love them.
... it's so nice to know I am loved right back.
What an awesome way to leave.
6 comments:
You're obviously an amazing teacher. What a great way to end off the year!
Courtney
That made me cry. As a teacher, I know how much it means to put your heart and soul into your job and know that the kids appreciate it. It means everything.
So excited for you, Luci!!!
Claire
That is awesome and also awesome that you have a whole year off with your girls. And I had a chuckle at "Fog Day". Have a safe trip, easy court process, and a super time meeting your new little one and getting to know her. Can't wait to hear all about your trip when you get back.
How lovely.
very endearing!! What a great send-off!!
Thinking of you as you set off on this last leg of your journey to family. Safe travels.
Post a Comment