My head is killing me, my throat feels like it is growing a very painful science experiment, my neck and shoulders like a gorilla has boxed them- I am thinking flu. And, I am thinking- sh*t, why now? But, hey, it goes like it goes.
So, what am I doing when I should be resting (and actually can b/c I have an early, out of town doctor's appt, so my parents have Malia tonight)? I am finally doing a real blog post. The one people not on FB (yeah, I went to the dark side b/c that's where all the adoption stuff regarding my agency was being posted) have been waiting for. The one that explains if there will be a baby sista, after all.
Okay, the optimistic, and likely very true answer is yes. The agency rose from the ashes, a battered, but hopefully viable, phoenix (and after much on the part of many) on October 1st. Myself, and all the other families who have too much invested with IA, emotionally and financially, will now have to pay another $4,000 in 2 installments to make sure the bird actually takes flight. Technically, I guess, I am exactly where I was in the process when the agency bellied up mid-July. However, though I know the new board is being conservative, and things could possibly happen sooner, there may not be any referrals forthcoming until April 2009.
I turned 50 a few days ago... I want my new daughter, I want Malia to be a big sister, but the fear grows a little more each day. I will likely be 51 by the time she is in my arms- can I do it with a little one again? Mal will be almost 4 when my next b-day happens, will she still be young enough to truly appreciate and bond and BE CRAZY CLOSE WITH our new little one, as I so, so hope?
My age request was under 14 months at the time of placement... Part of me wants to up that to 24 months, and part of me nearly throws up at the thought of losing so much of her early growing up, of possibly opening our family up to attachment issues (these are big on my mind these days with all of the "disruption" talk on blogs, the media etc... and with Corey's heartbreaking situation) of not having with her what I took for granted with Mal.
I know I have to pray about it and then be open to receive an answer. I know I have to trust that what needs to happen is what will happen, not only for us, but for our unknown daughter.
The waiting is hard, but at least that it is what we are doing again- actively waiting. Malia and I are in the top 70 families, of 210 with dossiers IN Ethiopia when the agency crashed. With Grace, the referrals will start next month, with Grace, I am closer to the "go open your email and meet your new daughter" stage than I am to the simply applauding everyone else's good news stage. With Grace, our child will be just that OUR child. Prayers, good thoughts, sacrificial burning, naked dancing etc always appreciated for positive energy.
And, right now, the gorilla that was boxing my upper body, has now sat on it for good measure and my tummy is tired of the turkey I had earlier today and wants it to vacate, so.... (nah, I won't finish that thought!)
9 comments:
I am breathing in deeply and releasing a big breath of hope. It has been a long road to motherhood for you. I savor your determination and positive attitude and I do believe things will be as they should. I pray for peace for you L and that your arms are filled once again.
Hey MM!
Sorry to hear you are feeling under the weather. I just got over the flu and it was not fun. Tho it was nothing compared to the Ethiopain flu I got last Feb.
I rarely post but I had to comment on your possible age range change. Don't do it. Missing the baby time is too precious and attachment is soooooo much harder. We are struggling. Every day, every moment, every action can be an effort some days. Please don't misunderstand; we are grateful K is in our lives and we know the importance of the work ahead of us. But had we been able to bring her home before 18 mos, we believe it could have made a great deal of difference.
Just my 2 cents.
Barb
that is the wonderful piece of news that I've been waiting to hear you type...(??) Prayers, good thoughts...um...insence burning and...maybe some belly dancing? (not sure what my DH would do if I were naked dancing, lol) will all take place with thoughts focused on your beautiful family!
hope you feel better soon...honey lemon and ginger tea!
Tears of joy here...and increased prayer. You said many things that resinated but GRACE....that's the ONE. BY God's GRACE, you will mother your second child, by God's GRACE Malia will love and adore her baby sister--dispite age difference, by God's Grace you will be able to soldier on. You have overcome SO much L. Really. God's GRACE is all over you.
Feel better, friend.
Warm tea, blankets and hugs
I'm so sorry you've been going through all this. I think you are handling it with a great deal of grace & patience & fortitude.
Re the age difference, I have to say with same gendered children (siblings) a lot of the evidence suggests that 3-4+ years apart is very ideal as they are not competing for attention/place etc. Looking around me at all my friends and the kids I nannied for I have to agree, girls under 3 years apart were often very very very very competitive!
I pray for you daily!
Hope you're feeling better soon.
I just wanted to say, too, that I'd always planned to have children closer together so they would be good friends. Ruby and Medina are 6 years apart and are still super close, more so than I could have ever dreamed. Medina hung the moon for Ruby and vice versa. It took a while to get there but they really did.
I was just thinking about age on my way to work this morning. I initially asked for a girl under 4. I found out about Medina, who was 5 on paper and changed my age range to adopt her. She ended up being 7 1/2, almost doubling the upper age I initally wanted. Even with the frustrations we've had, I'm grateful every day her age was wrong because if it had been right, there's no way she would be my daughter right now.
Listen to your heart and you'll make the right decision on age...
Keeping my fingers crossed that everything moves smoothly and quickly for you and Mal.
First I want to say . There is NO WAY that you are 50!!! If you are well I want to look like you at 50.
Thinking of you for a fast referral and YES babies are so so fun :)
Another question. I saw your photo shoot on sebrina blog. GORGEOUS !!
My question is
What do you do to Malia's hair. What products are you using .....
You can email me at dandcmartel@comcast.net
my blog is not private if you want an invite let me know .
Chris
Here's to hoping again mama!
Post a Comment