Sunday, September 5, 2010

Colour Commentary


Well,  it finally came out of Mal's mouth- "but, Mama, I don't want to be brown, I want to be white- like you"
We were just talking about her Leap Frog Tag thingy when sooo randomly she said, "Mama? When will I be white?"

I thought I had heard wrong and asked her what she'd said, but she repeated it, clear as day.

I told her that her skin colour lightens and darkens depending on the seasons, just like mine and showed her how very brown I am right now.

She said, "But you're white, Mama".

I countered with, "but not bright white, and you are a beautiful brown" and that's when she said the line I opened this post with...

In the next second, it seemed to become a non-issue again, but hours later, it hit ME.  The difference in our skin colour may not "matter" to me, but if makes a difference-  to how some see us, to what some people say... to her sense of self/identity

In Ethiopia, many people commented on how light she was, called her "konjo" (beautful) and made no secret that her fairer skin tone added to that beauty. Ads for skin bleaches and lighteners, hair relaxers, etc were on HUGE billboards all over the city.  The orphanage director called me out for having Malia in the sun too much, for "turning my baby black".  In Haiti, I have time and again seen lighter skinned kids given the coveted nickname "Ti Blan" (little white one) and treated better by teachers, shop keepers even parents...
Where, when, how this reverence of light skin began, I don't know, but I do know it is pretty much everywhere, but I don't want it in my daughter's heart, affecting who she is, you know?

Malia has been aware of her skin as brown for a long time.  But, up until yesterday, it always seemed just an accepted fact. I recall the first time I realized she was wholly aware-  I announced I was finished a drawing of her, and she told me not yet, and handed me a brown crayon to colour her in. It was a matter of fact thing. 

I realize that as she grows and hears comments, regardless of how well I may handle them, that the difference in our skin colours will be cause for questions, maybe even confusion.  We live in a white neighbourhood, but out and about many people are of colour, all colours, BUT mostly they reflect the colours of their families.  There are some kids, right in her own school that have a white parent, but the other is black. 

We have books- Colours Come from God Just Like Me,  Black All Around, I Love My Hair etc, but the truth is that she NEEDS to see more families like OURS, not JUST kids like her...   

So, hell, high water, or the 401 and Toronto traffic we will be going to as many adoptive events as possible, period.  Luckily, there is one next weekend-  many families just like us, most with 2 white parents, but single moms, too.  She's been before, but I have a feeling that now, nearly 4, and more in tune with who, what, where- that she will notice. And, if there is something in her that hurts b/c Mama doesn't fully "match" her little girl in skin tone (matching is big for Mal right now, she even has a grey shoe and a pink shoe on right now b/c pink and grey are what she's wearing on top :) maybe it'll quiet when she sees it's common and lovely, even if she doesn't see it EVERY day.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Us4 Cats said...

This was an endearing post you have shared.
At first I noticed the photo- all the different beautiful colors she has on and the umbrella, etc.
Kind of symbolic? Perhaps look at thepicture with here and remind her of all the beautiful different colors within it, including HER!

we are adopting a little girl from Ethiopia also.
I feel you just deal w/ emotions and questions as they come along. reminding her, exactly the way you did, that we are all different shades. you did excellent in talking about it.

it touched my heart that she said she wants to be 'matching' to you. what a sweet girl you have.

Louise said...

It is fascinating....it is not our perception...it is theirs that matters. Having been only ever WHITE, I would give to be remotely as beautiful as my Asian daughter. However, again that is about me. I laugh (silently) inevitably every summer when Olivia thinks her tan is the "whiter" skin under her bikini bottoms. Their perception is real...we can only support them and reassure them. Your Malia is so intuitiev, always was, dear girl.

Anonymous said...

I don't want to make light of this. Because it is most certainly an issue! But I wanted to point out that young white girls go to great lengths to make there skin darker. Even exposing themselves to cancer by using tanning beds and these girls do have parents that look like them. There is the idea out there of perfection. I am not sure what it is because it's not dark but it's not white. And it seems unattainable by most. And yet nobody is happy with what they have been given. My boys want "smooth" hair even though Mike has curly hair! 2 of them want darker skin and one wants light skin like me. Thankfully Gabbi hasn't shown any issues yet with her looks. The girl thinks she's hot stuff, lol. I hope she keeps that confidence!

Lisa said...

I thank you for sharing this experience and your thoughts. I know we all want to do everything we can to raise confident and well-adjusted young women : )

Kate said...

Hi,

I have recently started reading. I am an Indian woman (with dark brown skin which I love). I was adopted 20 years. My parents are white skinned and my brother is Thai with medium brown skin. So as you can guess we get a lot of stares and a few comments when we go out as a family.
Thank you for sharing this story and with your honest and thoughtful commentary. Yes, skin tone does matter. Especially for people on the minority. I have found in my experience, often people of the majority take it for granted - their white privilege and cannot understand why people of ethnic minorities are "making such a big deal" about the skin colour.
Equally I believe people should love the skin they are in and resist the marketing to tan or whiten their skin.
Have a great time at your adoption events!

Kind regards,
Kate

Anonymous said...

Dori said something similair to me. And we are starting to get comments from other children about not matching. It does help to point to other families that are like ours. Even pictures on line of other families help Dori know we are not alone in "not matching". It is hard because to me she is just my beautiful girl. But her experience is different. Good luck in connecting with other families. This post was a good reminder of how important it is.

Angela said...

I am a little behind you in these comments but also dreading them. It is so so valuable to be around other families like ours and we really enjoyed ourselves although Katie makes it hard to carry on a conversation more than a couple sentences long.

Heather said...

Love you my friend. We're in the trenches right there with you and this stuff. It is tough, tough stuff and there is no way around it. I hardly ever comment on any blogs, but I just had to give a shout out on this one. Hugs, Heather