Monday, November 1, 2010

3 Quickies!

1:  Read Secret.Daughter not even knowing it was going to have the underlying theme of adoption.  Great read as far as story and strong character development, but the "adopter as saviour" mentality was just too strong for me to recommend this.  I just hate that kind of thinking, anyway, and it made me crazy mad when what Asha takes away from her year long experience is that she "owes" her adoptive parents b/c they rescued her, and doesn't need to actually meet her "real" ones. 
Read at your own risk.

2. Mal loved Halloween, but even when it was Halloween night she kept wondering when "Halloween was coming".  She thought it was an entity, or something. So cute.  I just about took out my jugular on her crown, though. Note to self-  prechoolers wearing "real" crowns are dangerous- nect time, stick to plastic.

3. After 2 months of nada, the adoption wheel turned a fraction last week-  2 referrals that I know of, and heard through the vine, that there were others not on our yahoo board.  I need, need, MUST GET our referral before the end of November and have hope that it's not just a dream.  Agency updates, though no specifics given, allude to "a lot" and "many" children matched and just waiitng for a final piece of the puzzle before the new parents are called.  I am checking email and phone messages like and OC washes hands!
Excuse the McD's cup-  it was late, she was hungry. I caved :)

4 comments:

June said...

I had the same reaction to that book I did like the cultural info, and the fact that the character was able to travel to India and embrace the culture she came from. But I was skeptical that someone would go to that length and then choose NOT to make contact when presented with the opportunity. (I have since been assured by an adult adoptee that some adoptees who search do choose not to make contact as a result... but still.)

Louise said...

Ok....excused on McD's cup...really L??? Life is all about a McD's moment now and then. And you have to stay sane. Things are gonna happen real soon. I am awaitin', lurkin' prayin' for 2 friends and their families for long awaited Referrals. Yours and a 2nd daughter from China due some 4.5 yrs now. Who knew an "R" word could mean so much. Kepp breathing girl!!

Jennifer said...

Hang in there. I know the wait is miserable. I am glad I am doing bio siblings (remind me of that later ;-) I don't think I could make it through the process again....

Laurie said...

Sending positive vibes your way that you will have your referral before the end of the month.
I'm so excited for you!