Thursday, January 20, 2011

THE Call!! (edited to add a the bottom)

Yes, it happened!  I am now Mama to TWO beautiful girls!!
Malia has a baby sister. A full on, REAL baby sister :)

Baby "I" (for her ethiopian name) was born on September 1st, 2010- she's 4 1/2 months old people! OMG!!  I was preparing for a toddler. (and I am sure God is laughing)

Sooo-----
Well, we went in this morning, like any other.I dropped Malia at her school, then went the 3 more minutes back to mine.
But, unlike most days, I felt called to our Chapel (we're a Catholic school) and went in. I immedately remembered that I had promised Mary, yesterday, that I would come in there and pray, and then in the busyness of the day, had forgotten.  So, I went up to her, kneeled down, apologized and then told her that I was so, so, ready to be a mother, again- that Malia needed it. I got up, kissed her hands (not sure what made me b/c it was the very first time I ever felt I wanted/needed to do that) and went off to class.

At 9:25 my cell phone was ringing, but inside my big LUG school bag, it rang out before I could find it. I had a student keep calling me until I located it, checked the number and sighed- it looked like a cell phone number-  probably just a wrong number, but what the heck, I called back.

When I heard my agency's name on their answering machine, I got crazy chills and was just leaving a message, barely able to remember my own info to leave, when one of our secretaries literally burst into the classroom. She was carrying a master key, shoved it into my hand, said, "I think this is it- find the nearest office, I'll watch the kids".

I ran into the students' council office, and heard our agency director say the magic words-  I had another daughter!

I burst into tears, then screamed, bringing 3 kids running in! LOL

Baby "I"'s pictures came in moments later, and though I had wanted to hold off showing her off until my family could see her, I let the kids gather around and look.

She is precious-  huge almond eyes, rose bud mouth and in one pic is laughing that fully joyous, bust a gut laugh that big sis laughs nearly every day.
 And oy- the HAIR!!
At lunch, I got the AP appointment to accept (tomorrow at 5pm in London) and the doctor's appointment to have her medical checked (finished today at 5pm with an all clear!) set.

Malia is at my folks' and still has not seen her, but she KNOWS and was screaming- She's REAL, Mama??! Oh My God!! Can we go get her NOW???

(yeah, I wish, but first there're all kinds of hoops still awaiting my successful jumps)

I can't post pics, as you know, until court, but then- look out!!

*And, in all this joy, I feel a little sad, too, as the adoptive moms out there, know. Her "story" is very different from Malia's and while there is always great loss that happens before a forever family can be made, there is profound loss, here...  One day, I will have to tell her. I am already wondering how.*

But, for now, I cannot wait to see my littlest Habesha in person, hear that laugh, do that hair and kiss those lips.

Thank you to everyone who has prayed or sent out a good thought. Please keep it up-  we need to get to and PASS court, and then there is still the VISA-  OY! 

Must visit Mary again, tomorrow :)
********************************
It's 5:30am on January 21st-  and reality has set in- 4 MONTHS OLD-  Malia is 4 YEARS old. Eeek. Please pray for us. xo

49 comments:

Karen said...

Long time lurker with my own Ethiopian princess and so, so thrilled for you and your girls- CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :)

Kathryn said...

Congratulations!!! I know you've been waiting for this for so, so, so long!
I was so touched by your story of your morning with Mary; we feel that we were similarly blessed. We tried and tried for years to get pregnant, and it wasn't until the year that we went to Spain and both prayed to The Virgin of Montserrat that we ended up getting pregnant.
Our Esther is just a few weeks older than your new daughter, so if you have any questions or need a refresher course on what they're like at this age, just ask! It's a lot of fun!

Jane said...

Wow, what a great day for you and Malia (and of course your parents as well). They say the best things are worth waiting for and looks like they're right:) So so happy for all of you!

HomoHausfrau said...

I'm in tears and have goosebumps all over for you. SO, so, so happy you got *the call*!!!!

I've been a long-time lurker and occasional commenter, and I just wanted to tell you how happy I am for you and Malia!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so, so happy for you that I'm sitting here like a dope just crying. What a long time you and Malia have waited.. congratulations!

HomoHausfrau said...

I was so happy for you and caught up in commenting that I forgot to post my blog URL....


-V

www.dhduo.blogspot.com

Calico Sky said...

Soooooooooo happy for you all!!!!! Wow, finally!!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Cora said...

L,

I'm so happy for you and Malia. I've been following your journey all these years. It has been so great to watch Mal grow. And now to share in this new life is amazing.

Cora

BCMommy said...

YAY! I saw your news on the boards and was really hoping you'd post your call story today! I have checked your blog 3 times already!!!

Congrats to you and big sister! Little sister is finally a reality!

So happy for you and Malia!

CLaire

Kimmyann said...

I am so happy for both You and Malia. Can't wait to see your new little beauties picture after court.

Kendra said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I am so happy to hear this news and very happy Malia is going to be a big sister.

Cant wait to see some pics on Saturday!

Anonymous said...

I can't even read your post. I am shaking with excitement. I love that you followed your dream - and you've got your girls. So happy for you.

Proudmama said...

L, I'm so very very happy for you and Malia and can't wait until you can post some pics of your youngest princess! Hoping that you get a court date very soon!

Courtney

Joy said...

Many congratulations! Such news gives hope to many, and I wish you much joy in your dreaming and preparations!

Melissa said...

Congratulations! May the wait for court be short and sweet.

TJ said...

Your moment has finally arrived - your wonderful, glorious moment! And it is twice as wonderful this time around, one wonderful for you and another wonderful for Malia! You weren't kidding when you called on 2011 to bring on the joy! Oh the joy at your house today! Congrats!!

I's mom said...

Congratulations!!! Your story gives me hope in trying for #2 (although they'll both be #1)

Tavora said...

Perpetual lurker here....

I am so happy for you! Crazily enough today at around 11:30 you and Malia just popped into my head. I thought "I hope they get the call."

Then I came here and saw the great news! Congrats!!

Nevididi said...

I had to do a double take. I am so so so happy for you. :)

Mama Papaya said...

Oh happy, happy (and hard because I know how it feels to hear the story for the first time) day. Here's to the day you first became three!

Kate said...

So happy for you- jumping up and down. So time wise what are we looking at? Looks like Santa came through- just a little late!

The Mannings said...

Congratulations to Mama and big sister!!!! What an amazing story.

Dana said...

Congratulations! I'm in tears remembering the day the phone call came for me. Wishing you a speedy court date!

veggiemom said...

Congrats on your new bundle of joy!!! Can't wait til we all get to "meet" Baby I!

Melissa said...

Wow!!!! Aaaaaah! Congratulations!!! I'm so SO happy for you guys. Wow. I have cut myself off a bit from blog/ adoption land, with frustrations from delays, but checked in this morning, and what do you know?! And such a wee little gal too! How fortunate! I'm blown away with complete joy and excitement for you. Amazing. Blessings on your family. Here's to a quick and successful court date and visa! Wow. Momma to two beautiful little girls. Congrats.

Dianne said...

Congratulations, L! So, so happy for you! May the rest of the journey be fast and smooth.

Kathryn said...

Came back to share the joy some more and your new baby ticker brought such tears of joy to my eyes!

So, so, so happy for you!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! 2 sweet girls, love it!

Rhonda

Single PAP said...

Oh yay!! Such wonderful news! So happy for you and Malia!

Anonymous said...

YAY! So excited for you!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

will continue to pray for you

Tammy said...

Congratulations again! Like I said on the yahoo forum I could hardly keep it together at school yesterday when I read about your referral. I hope the rest of the process goes quickly and you can hold your daughter in your arms. Just so thrilled for you!

Tammy (#43!)

Louise said...

EEEEEEKKKKK!!!!!!!!! OH my LORD, God is good!! You will be fine....and tho' it isn't the age gap you suspected, it will be great in the end as Malia takes over "mothering" her li'l sis......oh my Luci....so wish I could hug you. SO many tears of 'HALLELUIAGH". Your heart will overflow.

Jeanie said...

You have pretty much the same age gap I have with my girls..I'll admit there are times when it is really tough but it is all good.

John and Alicia said...

Congratulations!!! So very happy for you and Malia!!
Wonderful referral story!
Hoping for a speedy court date!

enjoy :)

alicia in NL

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! I never comment, I'm bad that way, however I have been following since Malia was just a babe! I am so happy for you and Malia! This post brought tears! I have been praying that little sister would come soon! God is good!!! Can't wait to hear more!

www.itgoessofast.blogspot.com

Leslie said...

YAY!!! Congratulations!!! So happy for you!

Gia said...

woohoo! I started laughing with JOY (almost screaming ;) I've followed this blog for a long time now and I am so happy to hear that your family is NOW COMPLETE! CHEERS!!
-Gia

Krissy said...

Congratulations!!!

I am soo very happy for you, Malia, and "Little Sister"! I have followed your blog for a long time, but never commented before now. Continued prayers to you and your family as you all began the journey to meet your princess.

I've just begun the research process for single parent adoption and hope to one day share my story/journey to my own Ethiopian princess.

Blessings!

twondra said...

Congratulations!!

the Melodious Mama said...

big tear squirting out of my eyes!!! Its so funny, I haven't been around blog land for awhile but for some reason I felt the need to come check things out today. I am sosososososso happy for you girls. I can't wait to see your new daughters sweet face! BLISS!!!!

3 Countries 1 Love said...

Congratulations from another single mama!! I, too, just received my referral. My little guy was 3.5 weeks at referral and just turned a month old. I'm over the moon excited!!!

Here's hoping for speedy court dates!

Shannon

Barb said...

So HAPPY for you and Mal!!!!

Jennifer said...

Congratulations!!!!!!! I check your blog daily and was so EXCITED to read this entry!!!!! And the one above. Can't wait to see pictures with the baby and Malia and you and everyone. Congrats!!!!!

Jennifer

Laurie said...

Congratulations I am thrilled for you Mommy! Can't wait to hear more

Laurie said...

Congratulations I am thrilled for you Mommy! Can't wait to hear more

Kate said...

Congratulations!! Malia is such a sweetheart, so glad you're both getting your new addition to the family!!
Wishing you strength and all the best in the next leg of the journey!

darci said...

ahhhh!! i just had to type the address bar in and click..couldn't work the link but here to read this happy happy news!! ahhh!! i am so excited for you and your beautiful little malia (she looks precious!) congratulations and i hope and pray the rest of the road is smooth! darci :)

Beth said...

I am so excited for you. Malia will be a great help and a wonderful big sister. Congratulations!!!!!

3 Countries 1 Love said...

Found my way to your blog from the single mamas group. Congrats! I, too, received a referral a couple of weeks ago (has it already been almost two weeks?) and was quite shocked at how young my little guy is. My oldest is almost 20, then two 7 year olds. Talk about "EEEKKK!" :)

Again, congrats!