Little Sister had been suuuch a long time coming (29months, 2 weeks and 6 days) that in the weeks leading up to it, Malia had been questioning that little sis would ever actually be real. She was to the point where she treated my talking about "when we go get S_________" or "when we know who little sister is" as just another game.
Thursday, January 20th at 6pm changed all that:
Mama: (speaking to her on the phone, since she was overnighting at my parents' house) Malia, mama has some news.
Malia: Is it a surprise?
Mama: Yes, a wonderful, wonderful, happy surprise.
Malia: What is it. Tell me, Mama.
Mama: Malia, you have a baby sister! We know WHO S_________ is!
Malia: We do! (then yelling to my parents) I have a baby sister!I have a baby sisteeeeer! (then back to me) Is she REAL??
Mama: Oh yes, honey, she's real and so, so , sooo cute. I have her picture.
Malia: I want to come home now, can you come get me? I want to see. I want to see she's real.
Mama: Sweetie, Mama has to go to Weight Watchers, but I promise, she is real. You'll see tomorrow, k? I promise.
Malia: Okay, Mama (then to my parents) Mama says I can see her tomorrow. She's REAAAAAL!
The next day, after I'd had the medical checked, and I went to get her for our weekend going up to sign the acceptance and then to an Ethiopian Luncheon. I asked my parents to let me show HER first.
I had, had the pics done from the referral email at Walmart and one, of Little Sis busting a gut laughing, made as 5X7. I showed that one, first.
Malia stared for a moment, then literally squealed! "Oh Mama, she is soooooo CUTE!!"
After she'd seen the other pics, she continued to just stare, so I turned on the video and talked to her about her baby sis. Her reaction was so cute- I will post it once I can get a way to put it on here, as my new camera card freezes this silly computer.
Since then, she has barely let go of the picture for more than 10 minutes at a time. She shows it to everyone, friend or stranger, and proudly lets them know that's her sister and that she is beautiful. To church, she wanted to wear her 1/2 of the matching "Big Sis, Little Sis" outfits Santa brought, but said it was only for today; that after that, she would only wear it again when S_________ could wear hers, too. :)
Though I was not 100% sold on the name Malia wanted, I decided to let her name her and I think she did a great job. I'll share that when we've passed court, too.
There are 4 years between the girls, and though how young the little one is scaring me a bit, I can already see how wonderful it will be- Malia can be big sis to the hilt, and truly be a help.
So glad S__________ isn't just what she's named every doll for the past 2 years; that now she is REAL.
6 comments:
Oh my Lord!!!!! Malia will ROCK the big sista title, I swear. Her wee heart having faith...so long......she is your angel, Miss Malia.....and she will be such a blessing to REAL baby "S".
You know L, the blog stalking only just begins, eh...as others find there way here to share in your joy.
Be blessed.
So happy for Malia! What a sweet story. My boys are going through a similar thing...now it is sad because they barely ask about their little sister anymore, as my answer is always 'I don't know when'. It makes me sad to see them losing faith that she will join us. I can't wait to see their reactions. I have a feeling my 5 year old will be much like Malia, carrying around a photo and telling EVERYONE who will listen!
Enjoy!!!!
Claire
Malia is going to be a super big sister. I love that you let her picked out the name. Cory keeps asking when the baby is going to finally be born out of my heart. LOL I asked his suggestions for baby names and am going to use his girl name as a nickname and he picked "MagicWand" for a boy...so not going there...but I gave him some ideas for a boys middle name and he picked the one he liked so we are most like going to go with that if its a boy. A BIG Congratulations again. How exciting!
Well I saw this weekend just how great of a big sister Malia is going to be. Now I cant wait to see the big/little sister outfits on the sisters together!
Malia will be a great Big Sister anddon't let her age scare you- you are a great Mom- you are so blessed. Congratulations!
YAY!!! Congrats to Momma & Mal!!! I'm so very happy for you!!! Big Hugs!!! I can't wait to see your lil doll baby!! :o)
Post a Comment