At SIX a.am!!!
Yup, that when Malia woke for the day. Not unusual, but it's Saturday, for goodness' sakes and I told her I just wanted to stay in bed, hoefully fall back asleep. Malia said she was going to "make up a long story for you Mama about the bad dream that woke me up, okay?"
Anything to be able to shut my eyes, kiddo- go for it.
Malia's story (though I may have forgotten a detail or two from the telling to the retelling, here)
Once upon a time there was a room full of monsters. I was so scared when I saw them and began to run as fast as I could. They chased after me, but were a lot slower b/c they are monsters and big, so it's harder for them to move. I ran and they kept coming.
"Stop, we want to eat you, " they said.
"No!" I said and ran some more.
A big bee stung me. I tripped on the cement and hurt my knee. There was a lot, a lot o' blood and I needed a bandage.
"Mama, Mama!" , I cried.
Then I was in my room. I was hiding, but a monster came in. His name was Buddy- um, no, no his name was Buzz Lightyear.
(Buzz Lighteryear, Mal?)
Yes, he was called Buzz b/c he was a big bee, actually. I thought he was going to sting me too, but he just said, "I'm sorry the monsters scared you. We just want to play."
And we did.
**
Once she'd finished her story, she sang me song she'd made up about Jesus- I can't recall it all, but I do recall being struck by both the content and the style- including a repeated chorus and some rhyme. I would've suspected she'd heard it somewhere, except that the lyrics were specific to our family and our current situation as we wait for Baby Sista.
I am again blown away by this little kid, barely 4 1/2. Her mind, her capabilities... wow. I am often impressed by her creativity, and "quickness", but today I am coming off a week of trying to teach my grade 9 applied students to write in narrative style. I get things like:
"I like Rebecca Black. One day I saw a limo on the side of the road. I went up to it and it was Rebecca Black. I gave her gas for her limo. She kissed me on the cheek to reward me,a nd now I'm friends with Rebecca Black."
Okay, it focusses on one event, and has a plot line, as asked, but there is no description, no plot development, no dialogue exchange, as directed, either. Mal's story had it, and I have never taught it.
I think the main difference is what I am always telling my students- read. Read. READ!!! Mal is not yet reading on her own, though she is beginning to recognize a number of the words (as opposed to just having the text memorized) but she loves to be read to, and loves for me to tell her stories about Princesses Malia, Shaela and Kidan with plot ideas that she offers. She absorbs how " telling a story" goes from both these types of storiesm and so can then translate that to doing it herself. (It is the same concept with the songs she's developing, I'm sure)
I am also acutely aware that, right now, she is technically (until that court date!!) an only child. All focus, all dialogue is with her in this house and that, of course, will draw things from kids much earlier, too, as most parents will attest. I have been consciously reminding myself, lately, that when Baby makes 3, I have to talk to HER, read to HER, sing to HER as much as I have ever done with Malia.
Maybe one day, then, at least one of them can write the novel, or sing the song that makes Mama comfortable in her old age. :)
2 comments:
Ah, but don't forget! Malia will talk to her, read to her, give her attention as well! There will be two of you to focus on her wonderful little baby self and pour all of your love on her!
Hi!
What a wonderful story, children's imaginations are a wonderful thing! And Kathryn is right, Shaela will have an amazing older sister who will help her thrive.
Thanks for commenting back about Malia's name and for leaving a comment on my blog post.
Take care,
Kate
Post a Comment