Friday, April 9, 2010

The Unthinkable

I have no idea if I would have what it takes to parent a child with RAD (reactive attchment disorder), but I do know that as a mother, as a human being, I could not do what this "mother" did.

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/04/09/article-1264744-09104DB3000005DC-450_468x384.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1264744/American-sends-adopted-Russian-boy-behavioural-problems.html&usg=__9nsD6RUuUm4tm5yULrchi9M0PFQ=&h=384&w=468&sz=38&hl=en&start=3&itbs=1&tbnid=XQGHb7klgUrjEM:&tbnh=105&tbnw=128&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhansen%2Brussia%2Bboy%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3D2%26ie%3DUTF-8%26tbs%3Disch:1

 And, the callousness with which she did it (just read the letter photographed with the story....). Wow.

I am heartsore for this little boy. This story has been front and center in my mind and heart since I first saw it at 12:45 today.

I already had the utmost respect for mothers in RAD situations like CORY , but it just doubled and trebled. Even those that had to remove the child from the home for the safety of the family, did so after exhausting all the avenues of help, and finding a safe place to meet the needs of the CHILD. No one "returned" the child... like a pair of shoes.

3 comments:

onemorebaby said...

Omg... that makes me cry. Sadly, I know of a story, so very similar, here in my own area... So sad...

Kimmyann said...

Yes its terrible and unthinkable but she could have been at her complete last straw and while its sad to say perhaps he is better off going back than living with this "mother". Who knows she could have become so frustrated she might have done him harm.

B said...

We're a little disgusted by it here in our neck of the woods as well. Not only did she harm this child, she embarrassed her country and put the adoptions of hundreds of other children at risk by being so reckless. She didn't want him..fine..there is probably a process in place for this type of situation. This wasn't the answer.