Malia is starting to notice her skin colour. Not that it is different from mine, not that there are less people in this area who share it (though NOT at her French pre-school- sooo many kids are African Canadian or bi-racial :), not that some feel it makes "doors" a little harder to open, but just that it IS.
While watching a preview for "The Princess and the Frog": "Oh, Mama, she is brown like me!"
I answered that yes, and isn't she beautiful? Malia agreed. We're going to see it this weekend.
While colouring together tonight, I showed her a little caricature I'd drawn of her, leaving (though not consciously) the skin the tone of the paper I was using: "You colour me brown, okay, Mama?"
Me: Okay.
And I did.

5 comments:
Aww. Sweet girl. I often wonder what Nick and I have in store in the future with Kayla having these questions.
HAve you seen the Crayola markers that offer a pack of 8 skin cloured tones. Various tones. We have them and invariably Olivia interprets what colour everyone is or how she percieves them to be.Neat that Malia made comment of the princess being brown like her....and a princess yet too...like her. Have a good day.
Beautiful picture here...
Oh and I love the ones with her and the pup... quite adorable!
oh sweet, sweet child...I love this age of self discovery and awareness....noting the things that make them uniquely them and the things that they share! I just got this card character kit from a craft shop..blank paper dolls in a variety of skin tones to color/decorate/make clothes for. They are made by Roylco and run under $10...might make a fun project!
I love that! I love this age!!! it reminded me of the movie "losing isaiah" (great movie!) and the little african-american boy is asked by his white sister the diffrence between his hand and hers and he places his hand in hers and says "yea yours is big and mine is little" he not once metioned the color.. if we could all see the world like that little boy,,these kids are soo full of innocence.. i wish there was someway us mommy's could protect their innocence from time.. *sigh*
anyway,,,, happy holidays!
best,
Gia
Post a Comment