Saturday, December 5, 2009

Skater Girl!!

I've said it before-  I could not have had a babe more suited to/like me, had she been born to me-

I was flipping through the channels when I saw a skating special on. I stopped it there-  Elvis Stojko was about to skate. Malia had never shown much interest in watching skating, much to my chagrin, but that day, she was riveted to his performance. No sooner had he finished than she started doing her own version of triple axels around the living room floor.  Ekatarina Gordeeva was on next. Malia stopped, mid-twirl, to watch her, transfixed. As soon as she'd finished she announced, "Mama, I want to skate.", and added " I want purple skates, please."

I thought the moment would pass, but she has continued to ask, even after a week had passed.

Last night, I found out that one of my most creative former students was back in the area and teaching precanskate on Saturdays. I messaged him, and took her to register today.  I have never seen her soooo excited!  She wanted to skate right then and there, especially after watching part of the session with older kids, but settled for going to shop for the skates and a helmet, instead.  She had wanted purple, and actually Hannah Montana does has some with laces (Matt recommended laces, NOT those that buckle, b/c they tend to hurt the feet and don't conform to the ankle b/c they're plastic) but they start at size 1, and my girl has 4 sizes to go through before that happens.  Thankfully, she fell in love with white ones, by Fila.  (though I hope to find her purple laces) She even loved the hockey helmet we had to get to meet the safety requirements.   Basically, the girl just wants to SKATE.
I have loved skating since I was a kid (though I never learned myself)-  and became skate crazy during the Calgary Olympics in 1988 ("Battle of the Brians"?  Elizabeth Manning?).  I so hoped when I had a little one, he/she would be a skater.  Well, she's set to start in January, and all I really hope, anymore,  it that it is all SHE, right now, dreams it will be. :)

4 comments:

Louise said...

Ahh-the baby skates-yes...Olivia learned on those ones you referred to and did well for no formal skating. She just seems to genuinely love it. We had quite some time tho- finding size 13. Popular size. We are off skating next weekend on the outdoor rink at City hall.
I hope too that Malia loves it....it is cathartic somehow...skating no?
Cheers

Jeanie said...

Adea loves skating too. She'll be starting Canskate 2 in January (although I still have to sign her up). However Adea is far more attracted to hockey than figure skating. Malia will have a blast!

Kimmyann said...

I loved ice skating. I learned to skate when I was about 4. As I got larger my ability to ice skate left on a fast train to somewhere. I can still rollerskate but I can't even stand up on the iceskates now...my ankles just don't hold up with the one little blade. I can't wait to see the pics of her practicing.

Anonymous said...

My younger daughter fell in love with skating when we moved to Canada. I think it was actually the sparkly skating outfits she loved, but regardless of the motivation, she took lessons all the way through, got all her stars, and as an adult, continues to enjoy it. I wouldn't go out on ice voluntarily without a REALLY compelling reason--but I do love watching ice skating. Saw the Olympic champs when they brought their show to YVR after the Calgary Olympics and cried just to be seeing them in person... Skate on Malia!