Monday, February 8, 2010

Haiti: through a new lens

http://www.latimes.com/la-fg-haiti-hires-html,0,5775052.htmlstory

Some pictures are very hard to look at, but turning away is not an option if we count ourselves as citizens of the world.

I think it was St. Luke (people who know, feel free to set me straight!) who said, "he to whome much has been given, much is expected" and we, ALL have been given "much".

Did you take a shower/bath today? Did you have hot water?

Did you drink something today? How many times?

Did you sleep in a warm, comfortable bed last night? Did you have a pillow, sheets, a blanket?

Did you eat today? How many times? Did you eat even when you weren't hungry?

Do you know where those you love are? Can you reach them- by phone, by email, by calling across the room?

Do you have a pet? Does it sleep in a warm, sheltered area? does it have food? water/ love?

I could go on... and on...

but you get the picture.

We have been given "much".

Please... what else can you do?? 

Open to ideas. Hit me!

2 comments:

Joy said...

Yes, a great verse & reminder! I posted it in our church youth room along with the Spiderman "with great power comes great responsibility" quote & poster.

Luke 12:48b
From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.

Tarah said...

:) Thanks sweet lady.
Great reminder. I just keep shaking my head at what the group from my city are up to in Haiti and haven't focused on the bigger picture. Having been without many things lately, in Addis, I should remember more.
Many hugs....