Friday, June 19, 2009

Hair Club President (or a mini Diana Ross? :)

Give me an H- A- I- R!!!!!!



















School is winding down (we just finished the 2nd day of exams out of 4) with Graduation on Wednesday night (also Vo-Vo's b-day) and then we're totally sprung at noon on June 26th!

Tomorrow we pick up her fav Ethio-sista and hit the local fair.

Ethio-Boardwalk-Fest June 27th.

AfroFest July 11th and 12th

Mama has a teeny surgery July 15th, so Mal is going to "camp" at Vo-Vo and Vo-Vo's house for a couple of days.

And, we're still thinking/hoping for Portugal, too. We'll see!

In the midst of all this, we're hoping to see Little Sista's face for the first time via email. Malia now tells people she's coming and asks me, a lot, if she's still in E'opia.

Mal is growing and changing and finding interest and joy in all things. This morning, she picked up a toy recorder/flutey thing and played a decently recognizable version (self-taught LOL) of the song she likes to sing in Portuguese by syncopation and timing of her "notes". She then sang about 3/4's of the words along with the Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat soundtrack- so seriously thinking of some music classes soon.

She also enjoys "testing" us- the words "why" and "no", and stalling bed time. She's starting to learn some French in preparation for (hopefully) French Preschool a couple of days a week in September. She, like my mama's parents report mama always did, seems to absorb new languages out of the air.

Catching a ball, throwing it (no, Mal, that's Mama's head!), trying to use her "yump rope" and climbing up anything that has foot holds even makeshift ones) have us considering use of a helmet for more than just riding. (please see boo-boo)

Time outs never exceed a minute, yet remain tear filled tragedies (P'ease mama, I can have spanking instead? No time out, okay?). Sleeping in is 6 a.m.

Her best kids friends are 2 little Mexican Mennonite girls (4 and 6) with blonde, straight hair that falls below their little butts, and identical dark midi dresses. They look so crazy adorable all together, and Mal treasures the "I love you" cards they make her.

Her red Maclaren stroller is the favourite mode of shopping transportation and she'll happily ride for hours if she gets to enjoy a giant soft pretzel, and some "water p'ease!".

Basically, she continues to be my joy, and keeps me on my toes, and occasionally drive me batty. (Yes, I really said, "Mal, if I have to listen to this music one more time I'm going to blow my brains out!" And, yes, I will be more careful what I say, next time.)

Right now she is counting out loud and pretending to be out of breath- I peeked and she is "weight lifting" Dorothy, straight up off her chest, instead of SLEEPING!

Oh well, I still love her crazy, silly, defiant, hysterically funny, smart self to pieces and more!!!

(PS: Go check out Sandi's little addition to the family! Whooo Hoo!)

6 comments:

Calico Sky said...

Very Diana Ross like!!!

Well I'm hoping you are not in Portugal all summer?????? Guess why!

Kendra said...

I sounds like you definetly have a little music star on your hands. I am heading to TO next weekend too, hope to meet you and your princess!

Jennifer said...

Beyonce, look out! She is definitely bound for the stage.

Aimee said...

OMG I love her! She's looking so hippy! hehehe Way to much cuteness!!!!

Louise said...

She is ...as ever....delicious!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hahalarious!

I'm waiting on little sister too! Hope all goes well with the surgery and Mal enjoys camp at VoVo's :)