Saturday, January 9, 2010

Apology Accepted, Baby

Malia had her first skate lesson today. She's been sooooo excited and the sec I put the skates on her she was off an running on the blades like they were her sneakers. That is, until she hit the ice, then bam, onto her butt. She spent most of the 1/2 hour kissing the ice with her bottom, but toward the end she was standing more than she was falling and even taking a few steps.  (I am soooo sorry that I couldn't document her first time with a picture, but not only did I forget my camera at home, but it has been taking messed up shots due to its own fall from height of 3 feet before the holidays. )

Anyhoo-    when it was time to come home, she wasn't happy about it, and went into pout mode, even saying that she didn't want to go home and didn't want me to help her get her skates off etc. 

I didn't say anything except that she must be hungry, and we needed to go.  I began to leave.  She was sullen for a few seconds more, then suddenly, she willingly took my hand and said, "Mama, I not telling the truth.  I do want to go home.I love home. I'm sorry, Mama. I'm sorry I said that." 

Later, after dinner, she told me again, even though I had said it was okay after the first time, and hadn't brought it up again.

Okay, now- the kid is 3.  She only turned 3 two months ago-  she's always been an empathetic child, but those of you with kidlette experience-  is this- I don't know- normal?  My experience is with 13 to 18 year olds (and rare is the teen that will admit fault in anything), so I regularly blown away by her.  Think she'll still be apologizing of her own free will when I refuse to let her date some guy and she storms out of the house at 16???  Sheesh.

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

Glad Mal enjoyed skating! Adea decided she didn't want to take lessons this year but we go to the mom and tot skate and public skating. Give Mal a few weeks and she'll suddenly be on her feet more than her butt! We'll have to take the girls skating sometime. As for the empathy, apology stuff Adea is like that too...I know it is very typical in my grade one students.. if they do something naughty at school 90% of them go home and tell their parents ...this always shocks me! But I think it is pretty typical of little kids. Jeanie

Sebrina Wilson said...

all my kids have been like this and Gabbi is VERY sensitive to others feelings.. more so then the boys! (she might be tied with Ryan, lol) She is still struggling with her speech but she is very clear when she has done something naughty that she feels bad about it after. Especially is she see's it upset me.