As you can see, I am still trying to use my broken camera. I guess falling 3 feet onto a hard surface can't be remedied by camera "rest". And, to top it off this is the ONLY pic I was able to get b/c my batteries died, and not only does Malia look shell shocked, but some badly dressed woman walked into it just as I snapped it. LOL
It was Mal's 2nd lesson. She had one major fall onto her back that scared her pretty badly, but I saw the head teacher coax her back up and int he last 5 minutes of the half hour session, she was shuffling, on her own, about 5 feet at a time. The assistant says that's great for having just turned 3 and having less than an hour of total ice time logged. She seemed a little subdued after her lesson, and I wondered if she was rethinking being the next Sasha Cohen, but as we left, she called out, "See you next week" to the assistant teacher, so I'm thinking we're good to glide.
Later, at Vo-Vo and Vo-Vo's house, she showed each of them how to fall, adding that "it happens" and then how to get up. 
Now, as for the hair "razing", I have about 5 men on staff on board to do it, too, and one of the teachers with loooong, gorgeous naturally red curly hair, will cut it chin length if we raise the $10,000. I'll pitch it to the principal on Monday. Now is it bad that I want us to only get to $9,999?? LOL
I am proposing that the money go to the Red Cross b/c donating through a major Cnd agency guarantees the gov't will then match it.
I am drawn to CNN , after Mal is asleep, late into the night. The ugly cry comes up on me unexpectedly... Yesterday, I saw one of the butt heads from the NGO I helped found, then left when the Board (many years later) turned it more political than visionary and I expressed that my heart so longs to go, and he had the stones to tell me to leave it to the experts. Yeah, sure, the "experts" are doing a bang up job, aren't they- running scared with their trucks still loaded with food when things get a little dicey, doctors abandoning people immobile and in pain, on stretchers, for THEIR own "safety". I say clear out all the 'experts" and allow in all the volunteers (and I am sure there are thousands) who KNOW Haiti, it's PEOPLE and their ways, the language, how to exist sleeping as the Haitians are etc and have the heart and ability to "work it in the field".
Anyway...
I cry with each loss (the girl with the braids broke me all over again) and rejoice with each victory (but, please well-meaning reporter guy, NEVER pour water over the head of a baby who could be in shock and NEVER let her guzzle as much water as she'll take when she's been without food or water for 68 hours!!!)
yet, still have little hope, right now, that Haiti will ever really recover.
A priority right now is getting out as many orphaned children, and those with parents but in need of first world medical care, out and into safety. I recall my fear when months before I had Malia (but already was waiting for my little Kaia to come home) Ethiopia and Somalia were in conflict, again- I could barely sleep for fear we'd lose our babies to a system shut down by violence. I was all up in my MP's face to help me get her home if that should happen (little did I know I would never get her home regardless of what the country was doing... ). All of us need to get into the officials faces- many of these children HAVE waiitng homes in other countries, so screw the paperwork that was lost, and issue refugee status, period. Do what is RIGHT.
I pray for Haiti and struggle in that b/c I don't know why this devastation was allowed in the first place, and I pray to know how to help besides the hair, and my own personal donation, and I pray b/c I have to, b/c if we stop, I can't imagine how much worse all this will be.
Please God... enough... a happy miracle now- please.
2 comments:
I am with you on the ugly cries and the fear,
of how can this ever be fixed ?
My thought and prayers are with Haiti,,
Good luck with the hair pitch , I am sure the school will agree.
I am off to call my best friend and see if there is any more word from her missing family, I am also hoping with this phone call, I find some news on a new way to help.
Shannon
Oh L.....it is devastating. I agree with donating to a Cdn organization...our church has garnered almost $15,000 and encouraged more offerings this morning reminding the congregation that the Cdn govt will match it.
Prayers from all over the world for sure, can only help. God is listening.
Post a Comment