Monday, January 18, 2010

I still need shampoo...

... at least for now.

we're about to start end of semester exams, so the principal says proposing anything will nto work right now, BUT, he will commit $10,000 to be sent now so that the gov't matches it, and then we will fundraise (likely a dance-a-thon or something less drastic but that will bring in the cash, he says) all of February as part of Lenten initiative, and put the money back into the coffers.  Last week's $2 per person for dress down day brought in $1,500, but he says this $10,000 will be over and above.  I'm glad.  I guess this means I will keep my hair. Everyone kept telling me I was brave to even propose razing it, but sweet Jesus, it's hair vs food for the starving.  I was disappointed that one of men who was going to do it with me pulled out before I even knew the principal had other things to help, in mind. It's amazing how tied to our looks we are in this society. May he (and others who did not even consider joining us) never have to be in a desperate situation.
Anyway...
I didn't realize just how tightly wound I was over Haiti, and everything, until we were talking about this with the Campus Minister, and I just started crying. 
Please everyone, don't let the news become easy to look at, don't go into the "compassion fatigue" that seems so popular to talk about as tomorrow marks a week since the world shook and took many into its depths for the Haitians.  Continue to pray, to give, to reach out, to be your brothers' keepers.

2 comments:

shannon said...

Well I guess it's ok that you need shampoo.
I hope your school still supports you in your plan.

I am trying to see if I can get any connections with the cruise lines, I had a great vision while watching the coverage ( cant stop watching ) What if each cruise line sent out a ship even one ship from each line and use those resources,

Ok off to try and see if this plan has any hope.
Shannon

Mamato2 said...

Shannon, the ships cannot come in- the port is destroyed. that is one of the aid issues right now- Haiti gets almost ALL of its food by ship from foreign countries, wihtout the port, not only can't aid come in by ship, but food they are used to via this medium, can't either. It's heartbreaking in every way...