Thursday, January 14, 2010

Hair Raising (or Razing!) Idea

Okay, I am sitting here waiting for my kids who are doing a little something for the Gr 8 promotional night, and out of the blue, I get this idea-

Each student is paying $2 to "dress down" tomorrow (we are a uniformed school) with the money going to Haiti's aid.  BUT, that is only about $2,000 if EVERY person kicks in.
So, I am thinking... and I am shaking even thinking of the follow-through, what if I get my head shaved, in front of the whole school if $10,000 is raised for Haitian relief???

I mean, it's only hair, but can I do it??  I mean, would part of me be praying they don't make the goal??  How ugly will I feel (and this is NOT to say bald is ugly, but ME bald...  I am pretty sure I would not feel too attractive to anyone but mosquitos and birds with a mama complex)? Can I handle that??  Can I do this? I am almost throwing up a little in my mouth as I contemplate it.  Do I have the "girl stones" to propose the idea....

I don't know.  I have been praying for God to call me to Haiti in a very real way, but MY way meant I would KNOW I was to leave Mal (something I am also not sure I could do) and go be in the field, doing what I have done in Haiti for 11 years-  treating the sick and injured, comforting the people.  Somehow, it didn't involve loss of the one thing that, when done right, makes me feel good, feel pretty. 

And, again, I say-  I just don't know if I CAN...  and even as I typed that, hwo freaking selfish am I? Hair versus food and water, RELIEF for a while for people who have lost everything.

Oh please weigh in-  tell me what you think!!!!!!

18 comments:

Janna said...

As someone who has had short short hair for almost 20 years, I say GO FOR IT! It's for a great cause, and you're right - it grows back. You do have gorgeous hair, though.

Anonymous said...

I think the idea is inspiring. You thought it! Go for it! If it will bring $$$ for Haiti it seems a small measure.

But you MUST post a photo ;)

Kendra said...

I shaved my head once just cause I got tired of hair - it was fantastic and it did grow back too! You could also donate your hair for a wig for someone who is sick and be helping two causes at once.

Single PAP said...

yeah, i say do it.

onemorebaby said...

You can do it, I know you can!!!

The Warren Family said...

Wow, you are awesome! I know you can do it...and what an inspiration to others you will be. What a great lesson for Malia as well...to have her mommy show her that when you care about people you can be brave and put yourself second in an effort to help! I am very impressed (-:

Louise said...

OH my...tears...I thought of you and your bond/heart for Haiti. It is devastating. I think your idea was planted in you for sure...because you WOULD reach that goal, all the while inspiring others...and helping your "heartland" I say go for it!! ( I also agree you have gorgeous hair...but it's only hair...doesn't change your heart)

june said...

My best friend, who is a vice-principal, did this as a cancer fund raiser at her school - if the kids raised a certain amount she would shave her head. They raised it no problem and as an added bonus now think she is the coolest teacher ever. :) And if your hair is a certain length you can donate it for wigs for cancer patients too!

She started getting compliments from strangers once she had about 2 weeks of growth... and now keeps her hair short.

If you put it out there, you may even get some others to join in - each shaving as a different level of $$ is reached.

keep us posted!

Stacy said...

personally I think your beauty would shine even stronger with the shine on your head! awesome. keep us posted.

veggiemom said...

DO IT!!!

Gia said...

Bald is beautiful!!!! and its for a good cause!!! I say go for it but then again, its easier said than done.. do what your heart tells ya!!

best,
Gia

shaunak said...

I have had VERY short hair for the last 15 years. I LOVED it. I am presently trying to grow it out at the request of my daughter, but if I thought I could encourage people to donate, I would shave it off in an instant.
GO FOR IT!! You can also donate your beautiful hair to Locks of Love and help yet another person!

I think you should also try to get your blog readers to donate, in order for you to shave it off. I'll pitch in!

It is an amazing idea - we are also thinking of way to help.

Kim said...

If $2 per person would raise $2,000 and $10 per person would raise $10,000, then I think a head shaving is worth AT LEAST $20 per person, then the relief would be double.

Also, this is ripe for local news coverage, and possible extra donations.

I thought of you and J.J. when I heard about the earthquake. You both must be worried about those you know and care for.

I am hoping some long term good comes from this devastation. The world is now talking about Haiti and organizing to help. This is an improvement. It's too bad it took an earthquake.

Your empathy is inspiring. Be sure to post an address to send money.

Have you thought of which aid organization you would want the money to go to?

Sending love,
Kim

Melissa said...

Oh man, it's real easy for us to say do it, but would I want to? Hmm. You seem brave to even consider it, so if you do it, wow! You could even set up a donation thing on your blog. I'd support you. And it you don't have the stones, well, not many of us would, so don't feel bad about that either.

Angela said...

Easy to say from here but I vote yes! A great example for your students and Malia.
You might want to let Malia watch the process so she isn't shock by her Mommy's new "do".

Unknown said...

As someone who has donated her hair twice, I love the idea of you helping two causes at once. Go for it. The fact that you posted the idea makes me think you really want moral support, but your mind is mad up. I'm excited to hear how much your students raise. :)

I've never posted to your blog before, but I am a high school teacher and adoption advocate. My students asked on our class website what they could do to help Haiti. I am going to post your idea and see if we have any brave souls in our neck of the woods. ;)

Sebrina Wilson said...

If you donate to a Canadian charity.. the government will match your donation!! I saw go for it :-D

Kimmyann said...

Go for it.