Monday, May 4, 2009

Conceptology!




As a first time, Mama, I had no idea what a 2 year old's capabilities really were. Malia will be two and a half on Mother's Day.

Lately, I have been stunned by her understanding of the abstract (in italics), for lack of a better nomer:

"Mama, Khobi is my dog and your dog, too. Khobi is funny."

"Mama, no sit dere. Go away. Go away, p'ease." I then ask why she wants me to go away. "Becuss I want jumping (on the couch) and I can hu't you, Mama"

While with me in the drama room" "Mama, you open dis door, p'ease? I wanna see it. I wanna see what inside." I then tell her she has plenty to play with where she is. "P'ease, Mama, I want somesing else."

"Mama, p'ease I wanna watch Thumbe'ina. Thumbe'ina is cute." I tell Mal she's cute, too. "Oh thanks! Thank you Mama for I cute!"

After being told NO to a number of things she wanted to do, rather than what she needed to do at the moment: "Wait! Wait! I have ano'der idea!"

After being told something she did was not amusing. "Mama, are you laughing? You laugh wit me, okay?"
Showing me an ancient rag-bunny on her bed, "Mama, dis for you. Is yours?" I tell her it was mine, but that she can have it. "Oh is mine, now?"

She wanted to play with a sound effects book at bedtime and I said she could do it "tomorrow". "Tomo'woe, oh okay. I go sleep, now"
I jokingly told her she was the rabbit in the story, and she corrected me, thus, "I not a wabbit, I'm Ma'ia. I like a wabbit. Da Mama is like you, Mama."

She was REALLY crabby in The Gap and I asked her if she would like "Mama to warm her hand on your backside?" It was the first time I had ever said it like that. Her response, "Oh, no t'ank you". LOL

I'm sure there's more I am forgetting, but you get the picture. She's really on the money about WHERE things are, too. She will often say, if I use a different route after I've indicated our ultimate destination, "You turn dere, Mama. Dis way (or dat way)", or "go over dere" and she's RIGHT.

9 comments:

onemorebaby said...

I think she is exceptionally bright! (Can I be biased, after only knowing her from afar?) What an amazing little girl (and Mom!)
Hugs, ag

Kate said...

I love how you capture that way she talks- great job.

She is so cute. I know I say this all the time, but I wish you were closer so Taya and Malia could play together- they would have so much fun.

Aimee said...

She's so cute! Love the way she communicates with you! hehehe Just wait, it will only get better! ;o)

Unknown said...

She is so darn cute!

Anonymous said...

I was teaching one of my kids about national anthems today (part of her social studies lesson) and saw this video that Malia may enjoy (due to the pom poms at 1:06) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMuaXm0Ps2E

xoxo

Anonymous said...

She is so bright. Dori is doing the same kind of thing and amazes me all the time. It means I have to be VERY careful about what I say.

Tarah said...

wow! what a huge vocabulary. We are not so advanced over here! ha

smarty...

Blue Blankie said...

Auntie Nee says: The "OK, I have anoder idea" sounds very much like a young man you know well *grin* Only his was: "Mommy, you're not *listening* to me!"

Alicia said...

What a smart cookie you are raising! I particularly love the one in which she asks you to laugh with her. Grant & I are bad parents because we snicker at some of the bad behaviours, but gosh they are just SO CUTE!

Sofia will be 2 this coming Monday which makes her exactly 6 months younger than your Malia. I am constantly amazed at their similarilties! I love reading your blog because it's a small window into my future.