While I was making lunch, Malía was watching Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat. It had arrived yesterday and had already had one viewing, which we'd done together. She's very familiar with the music, but had gotten very quiet and sat cuddled into me during "Close Every Door" when Joseph (Donny Osmond) is in jail. She mentioned a number of times yesterday, and today, that "Jos'ess is sad".
Well, while I was in the kitchen she suddenly cried out and then was literally sobbing. I was frantic to know what had happened and she simply pointed to the TV- it was the jail scene. I sat and put my arms around her and she cried heartbreakingly for a good 30 seconds more. I asked her to tell me why she was so upset, and she said, "Mama, Jo'ess is sad. It's dark. He's scared." I told her he was going to get out and be happy very soon, but she reiterated that he was scared, and asked me to put on "TreeHouse", instead. I was about to when it occured to me that I could just skip the scene and go right to the next one. I did and she was fine and back into the story and music.
I thought that was the end of it.
Tonight, we were laying in her bed, after reading stories, and she asked me to tell her Joseph's story (I do these summaries of things in improvised rhyme and she gets a big kick out of them). When I got to the end and said, "Joseph now was very happy, he'd seen his Dad again, all were one big family and that was it. The End" She suddenly said, "no Jos'ess sad".
I assured her he was okay and just quietly repeated it a few times. She repeated it back, but as a question, then added, "Mama? Jos'ess brudders not nice" I said they weren't at first b/c they were jealous, but that now all was fine and they loved Joseph.
A pause.
Then, the big question: "Where Jos'ess Mudder?"
I said she was back in Canaan, in a different house.
She accepted that for about 5 seconds.
"Mama, Jos'ess Mudder?" Her eyes were fixed on mine.
I started to say my original answer, then started to tell the truth, but feared Malía might think that might mean I would die/disappear on her, too, so finally just said, "I don't know, baby."
She put her little hands together and laid them under her cheek in her initial sleep position. "Mama? Stay her wiss me, okay?"
I did.
6 comments:
Wow, they catch a lot more than you think they do.
OHhhhh-they process much more than we think,no??
Squeezie hugs to dear senstive Malia---she has a heart of gold.
Oh, she's such a sweetheart and so smart.
What a sensitive little one.
Ahh..that baby girl really pulls at my heart sometimes.
Beautiful heart on your beautiful girl.
Post a Comment