After 3 months of individual scene rehearsals from 2:30pm until 5pm each day (see, fashion show is a misnomer- it's a HUGE stage production with 14 theatrically choreographed scenes) we tied it all together Monday from 2:30pm to 8pm. Then on Tuesday, we polished the sucker until it ran like a well oiled machine, again from right after school until 8pm.
Wednesday we picked up, labelled, sorted etc etc all the clothes, started hair and make-up at 3pm (thank you Kidan's (Mal's local ethio-sis) mama's "salon & spa" for a fabulous job! and hit the stage/runway to show everyone "What Happens in VEGAS...!!" at 7pm. Home at 9pm. 80 people finally realized the fruits of their labour (1 teacher, 35 models, 14 committee members and various tech, art etc people)
Thursday we did it all again, minus the set-up part.
Friday morning (and I finally got smart and asked for a supply teacher so I could concentrate on the show and take-down without concern for my classes) kids did their own hair and make-up and we did a "feeder" school show. Then, by 1:30 pm, there was no evidence that a huge stage production had ever happened- all clothes were back to the stores, ramps and back drop were down, lights put away, a zillion cables rolled up, mops and garbage bags had been in full use.
Now, it's ticket money collection and counting and trying to RECOVER.
Miss Malía, who has been Mama's second in command (and every students' little sister), having joined me each individual rehearsal at 4pm, each day, matched us all minute for minute and did the night shows with her part in the little Kids' "Funky Town" scene. I can't wait to see the video b/c stuck under a head-set, I didn't get more than the after pic, above- but she was ROCKIN' it!
So end result:
80 exhausted kids (plus 12 more in the Kids' scene, but except for Mal, they were only around when needed)
close to 1,000 happy patrons
and hopefully some good funds to donate to Mal's Old Orphanage and to Karen Avelar's Ethiopian memorial fund (see side bar).
See, my principal is one of the good guys- he cares more about the PR than he does about the money so I get to re-direct 90% of what I make with this show, free and clear, to any worthy cause I want.
Since he came in, nearly $20,000 have gone to Haiti , through my shows, and now (my first production in 3 yrs) the focus is my daughter's birth country!
So that's where we've been all week!
Mal after the show on the last night performance: (click to enlarge bigger than the header)
My student committee after the very last show:By the way, I think we have a little director in the making. Hearing Mal yell:
"Peo'po, listen to me, pe'ase", "Good job, awesome!", "3, 2, 1- go", and "Helloooooo- peo'po!" is hysterical!
4 comments:
Can't wait to hear how much you raised! What an amazing man to let you use the money.:) what a gift.
Wish we were closer so we could come see.
great job!
You must be so relieved it is over. I'm glad to hear it went well and am anxious to hear how much you raised. Too cute about Mal although I think she'll be more suited to be in the scenes opposed to behind the scenes. Have a good weekend....you deserve some time off after all of the work you've put in the past few months.
That's great that you are able to raise money for a such good cause. And I love the picture of Malia. Hope you have a restful weekend after your busy week.
What an awesome week!!! Such a great idea to be able to do something so great and direct the funds to something as worthy as Malia's orphange. Amazing.
Malia -- as a director...ummm can't quite see it??? NO-she'd rock the house of course1 Delicious as usual.
Post a Comment