Sunday, November 1, 2009

Mal-oween!




I won't lie- Halloween is not one of my favourite holidays. Oh I do it, have for years, b/c as the drama teacher it was expected, and now I do it for Mal.

Her first year, my little fluffy ducky went to 3 houses where a special treat bag of non-sugar goodies awaited her at each. Not sure she has any memory of it, except from a photograph.

Last year, she chose to be a black tu-tu-ed kitty for a Halloween party, but then on the big day, was pirate, ala "Jack Sparrow". We let her find treasure at a few more homes, this time in my folks' neighbourhood. She recalls that one, and talks about it, sometimes.

But, last night was the highlight of her 3 Halloweens, for sure. She'd been planning for weeks to be a "bu'erfly". SHE "designed" her own costume from choices mama gave her, from the tips of her high-topped sneakers, to those of her wings. She went dollar store crazy for hair accessories and I suddenly realized that her "bu-erfly' needed to be slightly altered into a funky butterfly faerie.

Yesterday morning, it began- "is it time, mama", "can we go to Halloween now"?, "mama, I can say trick or treat now?"

We went shopping for a wall-unit for the living room and she told anyone who'd listen her plans.

I was worried the real thing ws going to be a let down, but not at all.

From the sec she donned her wings, she took off!

We went to our special houses, first, and then she finally got to do it- trick or treat, with older kids in THEIR neighbourhood. She was in heaven.

People put extra treats in her bag, wanted to hug her, or to have her cast a spell with her wand, and she did it all in total Malia style. Soon, the little goody gathering bag was over full. Mal handed it to me, and promptly forgot it- the joy for her was in ringing the doorbell, seeing all the glowing pumkins and singing out trick or treat.

We finished the night with a stop at her daycare party where the owner, goes all out and then some. At first, Mal was a bit scared of the life sized, animated, CREEEEEPY monsters, but soon found them amusing, instead. We had punch, and some sausage bread (yup, she's Portuguse too) and then the sec I put Miss Funky Faerie (which btw was said only by Mama since the "funky" came out a little obscene in Mal's mouth :) into the car seat- boom, she was out.

I'd love to say we had a totally happy ending, but unfortunately, the monsters came to visit the sec she hit her bed, and bed time became a little trauma tainted, but thanks to some warm milk, Mama's cuddles and a little tylenol for the runny nose (yeh, she's still somewhat sick) we did have a peaceful night.

This morning, she wanted her wings again. Thank Goodness I was able to convince her that her jean jumper was just as cute!!

5 comments:

D said...

I see a conversion in your future. Soon you will be a Halloween lover like the rest of us!!

Kimmyann said...

Very cute! C wanted to go out for "candy" day again on Sunday too.

Louise said...

Malia is gorgeous as the funky fairy!!tehe-love her pronounciation. I am on the same pageas you for Halloween but must make an effort every year for work so Olivia benefits too! Happy Day!

Robbin Hopkins said...

I love it!!!! Halloween is really fun for the kids, can't wait until my little Bumble Bee can enjoy it too!

Calico Sky said...

Oh my she is more adorable than I remember!!! How precious!!