There are some old wounds involving this season that make the time from Christmas Eve through New Year's Day very, very hard for me, and for my family. I have always been the peace maker, the one to bring everyone together (or exhaust myself trying) and when each year it's a fresh battle to try and get people to just forget the past (or at least let it fade), but they insist on picking the proverbial scabs off and starting new bleeds, I get very discouraged and very, very tired and sad.
Today, while driving my car back to the dealership at lease's end, I heard from an aunt, just newly arrived home from Portugal that, once again, there would be no big family dinner b/c he said, she said, they said, he did, she did....
It was 13 years ago! I had so hoped that Malia in our lives would unite everyone once and for all on holidays (I mean everyone is fine the rest of the year!) if only for her sake, but what my brother's wife wrought and then left to fester, has not eaten itself out, at least not with the older adults.
So, anyway... I started crying while talking to my aunt (the minute I said, "But, I thought we could finally have a real Christmas") and was still crying when I hung up a couple of minutes later.
Then I hear a very concerned little voice from the back seat:
Mal: Mama? Wha's dat? Wha's a matter?
Me: (trying to reign in my tears) It's okay, baby. Mama's okay.
Mal: I' hur's you, Mama? Where i' hur's you, Mama?
Me: (truthfully, but as lightly as I could) My heart, baby. Mama has a doi-doi (boo-boo) on her heart, but I will be okay.
Mal: Oh, okay. (then after a pause) Mama, doi-doi hur's you?
Me: Yes, but it feels much better already. You are making it all better. You make everything better.
Mal: Yes, better. I kiss it?
Me: (blowing her a kiss) Thank you, baby and here's kisses for you, too.
Mal: (blowing kisses back) All better, now, Mama? All better? Ma'ia kiss it.
Then about 2 hours later, I was lying down with her for her nap. I thought she was asleep, and when the grief of the morning's convo washed over me again, a little sob escaped me.
Mal: (reaching to touch my face) Mama? Crying? I's okay, Mama. I's okay. Doi-doi hur's you?
Mama: Sorry, honey, Go to sleep.
Mal: (patting me) I's okay, Mama. (said about 5 times, and then-) I kiss your heart. (and she does)
***
I have no idea where this kind of empathy comes from in such a young person. But, I am blessed, and I thank God. I hope she never loses it, or becomes afraid to show it to people.
15 comments:
That just about brought me to tears. What a sweet girl.
This touched me so much I made my older daughter read it so that I wouldn't be the only one with teary eyes. Sorry for your hurt--holidays should be about family. But you are so blessed to have that little girl in your life. She is amazing and much of it is because of her wonderful mother.
Happy holidays to you both.
Sweet!!!!
Just found your blog again and had to comment. What a wonderful little person you are raising.
Aw....that melted my heart and got me all teary eyed. Love your Mal! ;o)
I do believe compassion is innate and the people in our lives continue to nurture it - or not. You are a VERY compassionate woman and the best role model for Malia. She's only expressing what you gave given her, momma.
It bogs my mind how families stay locked into the past. I'm sorry you won't have the family experience this year you were hoping for.
Merry, merry Christmas friend.
What a wonderful little blessing from God she is. Regardless of how the rest of the family behaves, Malia obviously loves and protects you fiercely. Merry Christmas ladies.
Oh my goodness.. she is so sweet. Enjoy your holiday's!!! Give that sweet beautiful girl a kiss from me k?
she's too sweet, that is a gift you have certainly played a part in nurturing! You are lucky to have each other as you navigate together through this painfully beautiful world. I sure wish your family could move forward, what a waste. Holdign you in our hearts here this Christmas. Stacy and Lucy
wow - that's an amazing little girl you've got...
barb
Sorry you are feeling so down at what should be a happy time with your daughter.
Oh L, how fortunate for to have Malia - now you start your own very special family traditions.
I empathize with the family b.s. I've lived with this my whole life. Time to move on. Love Barb xo
That is so awesome. What a very speial little girl.
What a heart on your girl. The biggest reflection of the depth of your love is Malia's heart. What a sweet story. You must being doing something right!
oh ...that is the meaning of Christmas. A wee babe fixing the hurts of the world. Adults could use whatever magic these children carry that is so loving and quick to want healing. Be blessed....AND kleenex please!!
Post a Comment