Thursday, December 11, 2008

Shame on you, Amazon.ca/.com!!



I came home to find an ENORMOUS package from Amazon.ca on my front porch. I wondered what the heck I had forgotten I had ordered: perhaps a large coffee table book? maybe a puppy? or possibly a volkswagen?
I tore into it, only to find it was four thin, small books that, collectively piled, were less than 2" high. (click to enlarge to get the full effect)
But, my oh my, oh my were they well shielded from impact (even by meteorite, I think) with the bags and bags of air filled plastic and the disproportionately large container. Could it be the advertising brochures that had been included for my perusing pleasure, free of charge, that demanded the added security? Or have the folks at Amazon been smoking the funny stuff- possibly toxic emissions caused by the manufacturing of said plastic!!!
Yes, they will be getting a letter. (but, you knew that, right? ) And, yes, they'd better listen- I once shut down a Kraft commercial in 3 days, that must've cost a cool million or more to make, I shake not at the thought of putting a little of the fear of God (well, of me and other consumers, anyway) into my (up until today) fav book store!

11 comments:

Sebrina Wilson said...

That's awful!! Chapters does a much better job at packaging their books.

Sebrina Wilson said...

Btw that is a great book!!! (The creative Family that is). And what is the book underneath? Yes I am nosy :)

Danielle said...

Oooo! I hate when they package things so unnecessarily like that! Glad you are complaining! I agree with Sebrina though - great book!

Anonymous said...

Glad you are writing a letter. I do love that book and her momma ways. Amanda is a creative soul.

twondra said...

I hate it when companies do that....sooooo unnecessary.

Mamato2 said...

Amazon usually doesn't do this. That's why it horrified me so!
The books, are the one you see, plus http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/0938497111 (publishing for children) and http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/0064431436 (caps for sale)and http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/0312383711 (time to sleep, my love)
:)

Tarah said...

Hmmm---
Any way you could take these to a paking company to reuse, or send them back??

Lisa said...

I recently received a similar 'packed' package! I thought the same thing! Thanks for taking the time to write a letter! You go girl!

Anonymous said...

Hi L! I've been following this new blog all along, enjoying it as always. Your new photo is gorgeous! How did Mal get to be so big??!!!
I've also moved on from the toad. If you're interested, I've just started at http://judi75.joeuser.com but I'm not uet sure if that's the right place for me...
Much love to you both!

Barb said...

You go girl ... btw your family picture on top of BEAUTIFUL ... Don & I both approve. xo

Barb said...

wow! i had to read the comment above twice. i was sure i hadnt read this before but "Barb" through me and my hubby is Dion...coinky-dink!

anywhoo - hope the letter writing went well. i feel very strongly about over packaging as well. good for you!