Thursday, December 4, 2008

Tick, tock, tick, tock-

Oh, where did the time go??I swear that it feels just like yesterday that we were boarding a plane to come home from Portugal, but here it is over 3 months later! And, Christmas is just around the corner.
To mark each day of Avent as memorable, special, I took a cue from Sebrina and this year began doing a little something with Malía each day. These are all things that I either know Mal already enjoys, or new experiences that should prove fun. To mark each new day, she tears a window on a traditional Advent Calendar (sorry Seb, and MamaHuiHui ,there is no craftiness in this gal after 3pm! :) and then in the evening we have our special time together.

So far this week:

Dec 1st: Bath with Mama night and new book night (the tubby is always a hit, and not only do we get clean, but so does the floor, the rug, the... well, you get the picture! The book was about a pup that looks like ours Lost in the Snow and well, I think it gave her nightmares, even though he comes home safe and sound b/c she was up 9x that night.)
**don't even think about a pic for this one :)

Dec 2nd: Eat Out Anywhere Mal Chooses. (I drove around town and said, "do you want chicken? do you want pizza? etc as we passed restaurants, but when she saw those golden arches, look out! "Fwies!!!" was deafening and repeated about 30 times before we even parked. On the upside, she had every bit of a grilled cheese, all her fwies and 1/2 an apple juice. )

Dec 3: Play at the Park in the Almost Dark (see for yourselves :)









Dec 4th: Candlelight Dinner (where she decided that the candles had to be for her birthday and sang for herself at least 3x. And, where my homemade dinner went uneaten, but 2 stalks of celery and 1/2 an ice cream went to tummy land. I lit Enat's Memory Candle too, so that she could share in this with us.)








Tomorrow will be Christmas Movie and Popcorn Night, since she gets to stay up a little later (and b/c I am getting sick of the P'ince! :) and the next 19 days are undecided. Any suggestions?? :)

7 comments:

Kimmyann said...

making christmas cookies one night?

Sebrina Wilson said...

Awwww!! I love it! Mal is one lucky girl :) Here are some of my ideas:

Moonlit walk (in the spirit of Owl Moon, my favourite book! We read this first and then go out looking for Owl's)

Have fancy ice cream sundaes after dinner.

Go on a Christmas lights tour after dark. (we swing by star bucks for hot chocolate and drive around looking at lights.)

Deliver our Christmas cards to our neighbours.

Bake Christmas Cookies.

Get an extra bedtime story.

Make Christmas Craft

Watch a Christmas movie before bed together.

Make hot chocolate with peppermint sticks and whipped cream.

Have breakfast for dinner.

Make Pinecone Bird Feeders.

Treat

Eat dinner completely by candlelight.

Kids get to choose favorite dinner.

Christmas Eve Party

Some of these we do more then once.

Playful Platypus said...

I posted a bunch of suggestions for advent calendar "treats" on my blog back in mid-November. Take a look.

At home, my kids are making Advent banners (yesterday), baking shortbread cookies with Laolao (today), getting a new book at the school book fair (Wed), going to a tree farm to get our Christmas tree (tomorrow), making popcorn and cranberry stings for the tree (Sunday), putting the tree up and decorating it (Monday) and stuff like that.

We'll be doing a moonlit walk on the 13th (the full moon), making more Advent banners (one a week until all four are ready), having a new Christmas movie and treats, and also doing a Christmas lights tour one evening next week.

Unknown said...

You guys are so sweet... Mal has an awesome mommy!

Oh I couldn't find that Brian Melo song on Itunes!

Louise said...

Love of course all of Sebrina's ideas--stole them infact!!! Iadded last year and again this year--donate toys to the Angle Tree. Malia may be a little young to understand the significance but she will get it one day. I also give Olivia the "open a present" choice. Spread some of the abundance around. She jumps every morning to see her surprise.thanks for the shout out, doll. Malia is adorable beside the tree!!

B said...

I for one think mommies butt would have fit on the slide..and I want to see her go down it!!! That's my suggestion..Malia gets video of mommy going down the slide one night!!! : ) I'm sure I don't have to tell you, but that baby is stunningly beautiful.

Tarah said...

When did Mal get SO big? Oh my gosh, she looks way too old in the pictures.

Sounds like lots of fun!