Saturday, November 8, 2008

Saturday







I am still sick, or more accurately, sicker. But, voice or no voice (it's kind of a cross btwn the chick who sang Bette Davis Eyes and a prank caller), feeling like I am swallowing glass, choking on crud I had no idea resided in my head every time I cough or try to talk for more than one sentence (très gross!), or not, life goes on.

I spent most of the day in a retirement seminar. I hated being away from Mal on a saturday, to be honest I hated being upright, but I am 5 years away from the big moment, and this is when they recommend we begin getting our financially savvy ducks in a row. Besides, lunch was awesome- yea, I can still eat- there is no justice in my world.

But, in the couple of hours before and after the powerpoint-presentation-a-thon, these are some of the more noteworthy convos with Miss Malía.

On the way to drop her at Vó-Vó and Vô-Vô's:

Malía: Mama? Vô-Vô?

Mama: Yes, Malía, we're going to Vó-Vó and Vô-Vô's.

Malía: No. Stay home. Mama house. Okay?

Mama: Sorry, baby, but Mama has to go to a workshop. I'm sorry.

Malía: Okay. (the after a pause) Mama, sunshi'e behin da twees.

(I think she was speaking metaphorically :)

***********

At my parents' house while she was having supper:

Malía: I eat fwench fwies. Twy it, Mama.

Mama: I already ate Mal, but thank you.

Malía: (pouting) Dowothy's crying.

Mama: Really? Why?

Malía: She go home.

Mama: She can't go home?

Malía: No. Wed shoes.

Mama: That's right, she taps together the red shoes and goes home. Who are her friends?

Malía shrugs.

Mama: The tin man?

Malía: Yeah, ti' man.

Mama: Yes, he wants a heart. And, who's made of straw, Mali? Who wants a brain?

Malía: (looking at the 3 sets of adoring eyes on her, gets this huge grin on her face and blurts out) Mama!

(that's it kid, no more fwies for you!)

***************
In the car on the way home:
Malía: Mama sing "Raimbow"

Mama: Aw sweetie, don't make mama sing it hurts. I can't okay?

Malía: Sing "Raimbow".

Mama: Aw Mal.

Malía: "Raimbow", peese?

I started singing and believe me it was waaaay off, and I wasn't faking it.

Malía: Mama, no! (but I keep singing. She kicks her feet) Shtop it!! Shtop it!!

Mama: What? I thought you wanted Rainbow?

Malía: No, don' sing.

(Simon Cowell moment revisted)

On the potty, at home:

Malía: Mama, I wan my doggy.

Mama dutifully calls the Beast into the washroom where he tries to lick Mal's face. She pushes him away.

Malía: No!! I wan doggy!

Mama: (confused) Uh, Mal, you have one doggy and for better, or for worse, he's it.

Malía: (Pointing behind him.) Dat doggy!!!

I look and see a Remembrance Day poppy that has fallen off the counter.

Mama: The poppy??

Malía: Yeah, puppy!!

I give it to her and she holds it up for me to get a good look.

Malía: (in a voice that clearly says Mama needs a brain) Puppy, Mama! Doggy!!

(doh!)

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hey! I keep seeing you pop up on other blogs so I had to come and take a look! What an absolutely beautiful little girl you have!! Sorry you're sick and had a "Simon Cowell" moment!!

Mama Papaya said...

Feel better Mama!

Sebrina Wilson said...

Feel better soon! Malia is too precious :)

twondra said...

Hope you feel better soon! Malia is soooo cute!!

Barb said...

OOOOOOOH, I love the poncho, is it handknit??

Hope you feel better soon. Barb

Mamato2 said...

Thanks for the good wishes- still sick though. Ugh.
Barb, the poncho is from Children's place in the states. I love it, too! :)

Derrick, Alysia, and Levi said...

I've got a question for you. How did you get your web counter? Was it one of the blogspot gadgets? I've tried several but can't get any of them to work. It sounds like yours is working though. Our blog is our-joyful-journey.blogspot.com
Alysia