Sunday, March 22, 2009

CBC... there's a reason I don't watch.


For days and days the adoption boards have been abuzz with THIS story. And, whether you read it in English, French or watch it, one thing remains true- only ONE side of the story got told, and it got told to create controversy for the god of media: ratings.

The families who told their stories felt they needed to speak. Yes. Good. No issues with that. I am very lucky to know that my baby girl does indeed have living relatives, to have names, even a blurry photocopied "face" as part of her history. My agency (and it's not the one mentioned in the CBC story) may have other things it needs to work on, but has always shared our kids' histories as the staff knows them, has even encouraged birth family contact. I intend to do just that when we return to gather Little Sista into our family.

The families on which the article is based, are angry, hurt by having extremely important information kept from them, for having to learn it through their own children once these little ones could communicate with them. I know I'd be mad as hell, too. (and concerned about the mother who has stated, repeatedly that she wanted to adopt a "true orphan" and now has a child with a family. Um, lady- your little one speaks English, now- think of HER, will you?)

However, CBC chose to focus ONLY on what looks to be UNethical, and on the health of one little boy when picked up. They use out of context sound bites (and in print, quotes) such as accusations that parents are raising concerns only for an "out" to be able to give the children back! Say WHAT?

And, these masters of unbiased, creditable journalism (please hear the sarcasm, or you'll miss the whole point!) actually credited the Jolie-Pitt conglomerate for the boom in Ethiopian adoptions. Yes, like anyone in his/her right adoptive mind would go on this insanely emotional (and financial, let's face it) rollercoaster, and then bring home a child to be part of his/her family FOREVER b/c some hyped up Hollywood Barbie and Ken made it "cool". Now, that's Class A reporting, CBC.

And b/c this is a "hot topic" (who knows, maybe Whoopi will soon have something to say!) American blogs I read, and, as I understand it, even Ethio sites are intrigued by this story. So, will it be long before there are real and true consequences beyond just those of people who think "if it's on TV -or in print- then it must be gospel truth" now questioning ALL Ethiopian adoptions? No, it won't- in fact the Alberta gov't, for one, is already issuing offiicial statements, CAFAC is sending reams of emails to clients trying to save their credibility, and those of us waiting to bring home our children (regardless of where we are in the process, or with what agency) are worried that the Ethiopian gov't and MOWA may be more than a little offended by this blanket lashing of their system and practices- and dreams hurt, or dashed all together... Even if that, itself, doesn't happen, an investigation into the whole of International adoption is likely, and though I am not worried about how my ageny will fare, I do know one thing will be inevitable- more delays.

I have kept my silence on this for days and days. I wanted to have my mental ducks in a row before I formed an opinion. And my opinion is simple- CBC knowingly told one side of an explosive story, and may have hurt thousands of families formed and waiting to be formed, even years down the road. That's irresponsible. They suck.

...and I'm a little scared.

9 comments:

Louise said...

I didn't see this "report"-and that word is used lightly because like you said, usually the sensationalized view is the one that grabs the ratings. Sad and SICKENING that they could've aired such a show. Indecent when you think of the ripple effect.
We will increase our prayers for you, L and for Little Sista needing to come home.
CBC....sucks!!

Jocelyn said...

I am a little scared too and I am not in Canada, this story could start a major domino effect:-( I hate this.

Kimmyann said...

Some points.. As for a "true orphan" historically children in orphananges usually had some family. They couldn't afford to keep them that is why most were placed in orhanages this stands throughout the world even today.
These type of "media" reportings often are just to stir the pot without regard to the outcome. Sometimes I think that there is some media executive sitting in a room coming up with stories and they tell them based on how much controversy it causes and if they can get more stories out of it. They tell the one story and Ethiopia responds and makes adoptions harder so there is their next story...

Danielle said...

Great post L! I feel the same way! I sooo hope that this doesn't affect the program for anyone involved. I can only imagine how you must be feeling.

Sebrina Wilson said...

YES!!! They really do! As if I needed anymore reasons to not watch the news.. ick! I think the story really was horribly presented with very little facts.

I agree with you. I understand the families pain.. unfortunately CBC has twisted this and now all we can hope for is most people watching will be able to see through the sensationalism crap!

Proudmama said...

Well said L!

Courtney

S AND C said...

I hate the negative publicity around international adoption. I just wish they would take their problems to the agency or better business bureau not all over tv and to people who dont understand the intricacies of adoption.

B said...

If I hadn't "known" you and Mal before reading that article, I would be inclined to buy into their crap. Very sad that they would present this one sided b.s. to the public. I'm sorry.

Calico Sky said...

What surprised me the most was that the CBC would do this, not the old CBC I know and grew up with (with solid journalism) but one that is becoming more pop culture - I certainly noticed the change around the mid 2000's. Sad, very sad and I'm amazed at how adoptive parents only present one side because we all know with adoption there are many sides and so so many variables. Sigh!