Friday, March 20, 2009

Forever Family... let it REALLY be forever.


March is our month for Adopto-versaries, and yesterday was Forever Family Day. It's the day I signed the final papers and walked out through the gates of Malia's orphanage with her, into a waiting little Lada blue and white Addis taxi and went "home" to the GH we were staying at.

I remember bathing her, massaging every inch of her tiny little self, giving her a bottle and having her fall smoothly asleep. Yeah. That lasted about 3 hours, then it began- every two hours, the wake, cry, bottle, sleep routine. But, I knew one thing for sure. Mamahood had definitely begun!

Yesterday, we hit a local playground/petting zoo/restaurant. She had a blast chasing kids of the human kind, then those of the goat kind. She ate the strangest "pink, mama, pink" ice cream I have ever seen with total gusto. Later we had pizza and strawberry shortcake at my parents' place and she drank some coke, which meant she didn't fall asleep until nearly midnight- oy!!

Today, she gave my mom and me the scare of our lives when I went back into Applebees to retrieve her forgotten stroller and she took off on my mom, who with 2 artificial knees couldn't go after her fast enough. I freaked when I didn't see her in the parking lot around the corner (and a VERY busy highway is only about 20 feet off of that!) but on my 3rd frantic "Malia!!!!!" she came out of hiding. She got two quick swats on the butt. No way a time out would have been enough that time. Both my mom and I were physically sick for about an hour afterward.

Tonight as I was putting Mal to bed, I asked her what happened today. She immediately said, "I got spanking on my bum-bum". I asked her why (and yes, we'd also talked about it earlier when it happened) and she said, "b/c I run, I hide fwom Vo-Vo. I sorry, mama, okay?" Funny how with all we did today, even AFTER the scariness, she chose to recall that, first.

My biggest fear continues to be losing my baby girl, and lately there is just waaay too much drama for my liking!! But, I am so grateful that it IS just drama and that she is right here, safe and sleeping in my presence, like she has been for the past 2 years!

8 comments:

Chris said...

OMG !!! You must have been sick to your stomach :( Glad that she is safely sleeping :)
Btw . I was following Sebrina's blog and I probably didn;t go for a couple of weeks . I cannot access it anymore. Could you please ask her to send my an invite if she doesn't mind . I really miss it .Thanks
dandcmartel@comcast.net
Your Malia is gorgeous.

Kimmyann said...

Sorry you are having so much drama lately. Boy she really likes pink huh!

Jeanie said...

OK reading your story made me grateful that Adea is a cling on. Very scary! I'm glad to hear she is safe and sound. I loved the video...too cute.

twondra said...

Wow...how scary. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. :(

Anonymous said...

The title of this post just...hurts.

Anonymous said...

I should add - Mal looks pinkaful and so grown up.

Lisa said...

My heart sank just reading the post! I'm glad you are all ok! Your Mal is growing up so fast!!! Hugs to you both:-)

veggiemom said...

Happy belated family day! Sorry for the drama.