Tuesday, March 17, 2009

So Worth the Wait







I have always wanted children for myself. It was a need that began growing in me at a very early age.
However, as I got older, and then a lot older and the dream had not yet been realized, I also began wanting them for my parents.

My Dad has always loved kids. He was a second (and sometimes first to those without) dad to my friends in highschool, and neighbourhood grandpa to everyone from tots to teens.

My mom had no problem setting the extra place at the table, or having kids stay over.
But, soon I began to understand that these surrogate grandkids weren't THEIR grandkids.

I knew my own sadness- I mean there was a time in my 30's that i couldn't attend church b/c seeing all those little ones broke me so deeply that it hurt too much to stay through a mass. Soooo many times I avoided baby showers, wedding showers b/c I felt like the odd one out, "off" and hurt. I don;t say jealous b/c my feelings were more personal, deeper. It was a longing for my own, not for what another had.

But, my parents were feeling it too.

When I stopped focussing on how wounded I was, and took a moment to see beyond myself- I saw that, yes, I was different in my childlessness, but so were my parents. ALL their friends had multiple grandkids- some didn't even appreciate the gift- and my parents had no one.

My brother and his wife had been told they'd never have kids.

I was aging well past "child bearing years", but still managed to get pregnant. Chemical.

The second time around, ectopic.

I hadn't told my parents I was even pregnant until the day I was diagnosed... I remember my Dad so upset, wondering why if they can transplant all manners of organs and tissue, they couldn't move my baby to where she'd thrive, and LIVE.

I watched them age faster as my doors closed further with a BFN on my IVF.

That was an Easter Sunday. On the drive home they both pushed for adoption, something I never thought they'd be okay with in the fullest sense.

They rode that rollercoaster too- dashed hopes in the DR, a hard slap in the face by a fake birthmom, anticipation, then devastation with sweet Kaia (who looked just like my dad) and then the new hope in Malia.

Fast forward to May 21st 2007. They held her at 8am, for the very first time, and though they part for hours at a time, she is the joy, the fun, the raison d'etre of their lives.

They have been blessed with a bio grandaughter, too- my brother's lovely R, after 14 years of infertility, and they love her to pieces, too- but she's in NJ, and Mal is here and they are here, and they must be together for then all is right with the world.

March 19th is Forever Family Day for us. ALL of us.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd admire you for following the call to motherhood. The title of your post inspires me to keep ALL of my dreams alive. It's clear how much you love your role as a mother and I'm so glad you are doing it again!

onemorebaby said...

Beautiful. : ) All of it. Truely.

twondra said...

What a beautiful story. Brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing!!

Sebrina Wilson said...

Beautiful story!!!! Thanks for sharing!

Tarah said...

I absolutely love that you have family day for when you were all together. You are so blessed to have amazing family.

Kate said...

Love the story and she was so worth the wait. She is beautiful inside and out- and she was the one meant to be for you and your family- despite the heartbreak of losing Kaia. Malia was the one for you.

You seem to be a great Mom, and enjoy being a Mom- Malia always looks so happy. Great job!

HomoHausfrau said...

What a great story.

Thank you for being so real and sharing so candidly!

Barb said...

What a moving post and I must add ~ I clicked on the first picture and the joy in your parents face and Malia's is a joy to behold. As a grandparent, I can appreciate their feelings ~ they are like no other! Barb xo

Louise said...

Beautiful post!!!
The dreams Malia has fulfilled!!
She is precious, truly a gift.
I think I need shares in kleenex because lately all of your posts have made me blubber!
Happy March 19th.

Kimmyann said...

Its a lovely path you have taken. The hurt is far outweigheded by the final outcome.

B said...

Very touching L, I am so happy that you have all been blessed.

Aimee said...

Aw...this was a beautiful read! *hugs* Just look at your beautiful bundle of joy! She's so very happy because she has a wonderful momma who loves and cares so much for her!

Unknown said...

awesome post. Love it!

Nicky said...

What a BEAUTIFUL post, my friend.

I am so looking forward to the day when my own parents get to hold their granddaughters... like you said - it's all of our forever family day!

Congrats;
Nicky

Calico Sky said...

I am crying reading this, truly. I can so relate b/c this week I couldn't face the families at Church and like you I know it isn't jealousy but something so much deeper. I think a lot of people don't understand a woman's desire to be a mum, especially if that woman is single. I'm a Christian and I know that many of my Christian friends would/will simply not become a mother if Christ doens't provide them with husband and good fertility. But I see and feel it deeper than that, I believe that Christ put orphans and adoption into my heart for a reason, well before I am married. I believe that Christ directed me to James 1:27 "I call upon all Christians to take care of widows and orphans in their distress". It doesn't just say married Christians. I'm not adopting to save a child. I didn't foster to do that either. I'm doing it because it is what is in my heart and while I know it obviously makes such a difference in a child's life, it makes far more of a difference in mine - fostering was by far the best experience of my life, but like you said, one day a child will be forever mine and we will be a forever family. I can't wait.

Happy Belated Family Day to all of you!!!

(p.s. can you tell I'm catching up on your blog?)