When Malía showed she was all done with daytime diapers at 20 months, I was not too surprised. After all, she'd been sitting the potty for all bm's and many of her pee times since she was 15 months old. But, I had expected many accidents before we had totally dry days. Those did NOT materialize. We had maybe 2 pee-pee accidents all tolled.
Now, this past weekend was a hectic one, that included busy-ness on the Monday, too. For pee, she asks, or I ask her, but for number 2, I usually put her on the potty for bm's every 2 days and we PottyDance , she whimpers/cries a little, but soon I hear "I did it!" and she's cleaned out for another couple of days. If I don't insist she poo, she will hold it- as much as four and five days b/c going potty in that regard has never been easy on her, poor thing. But, with the change of routine, of home base, or food etc, Mal was having none of my potty talk Friday, Saturday, or even Sunday, and on Monday, home and exhausted, I totally forgot it was day #4, and simply diapered her and put her to bed, as usual.
About an hour, or so, later I was on the phone when I became aware of pitiful, muffled crying. I came into her room, and she was crying into her pillow, little butt in the air.
Mama: Mala, what's wrong? What's the matter? (I reach to touch her and she pushes my hands away)
Mal: No, no touch me. No touch me.
Mama: Why, sweetie, what's happened? What's wrong? (I manage to get hold of her and realize right away that she has soiled her diaper) Oh, Malia, you poo-pooed. Is that why you're crying?
Mal: My bum-bum hur's. I cwy.
Mama: (I pick her up and begin carrying her into the washroom) Honey, this is not your fault. Mama forgot to put you on the potty. But, why didn't you call me? You know how to ask to go potty, Mal. You know how to ask to go poo-poo, right?
Mal: (burying her face in my shoulder and crying anew) Mama, I sorry.
Mama: It's okay, baby. Are you embarrassed b/c you had an accident? Are you sad?
Mal: Yes, mama. I sorry.
Mama: It's okay. Mama's not mad. I promise.
She sat the potty, did some more "business" and then-
Mal: See, Mama. I poo-poo. I fwush now, k? (then noticing the diaper I had taken off her on the vanity) Oh, smell! I thwow it in the gawbage, k?
***
So for the first time in over a year, Mal soiled a diaper... normal stuff, I think.
Her remorse, though, her embarrassment really touched me, especially since she had never had occasion to be corrected for "accidents". I am constantly amazed at what she learns without me, and sometimes, in spite of me :)
2 comments:
M's been trained since 22 months and today she had a slight pee accident - a dribble really, ran into the washroom and when I rushed to help her get onto the toilet she burst into tears! She was so sad/embarrased/disappointed that she had had an accident - no matter how little. Poor thing! Like you, she has never been disciplined for any accidents during training, but it still makes you feel badly as a parent! THey take such pride in their accomplishments.
ahhh she is growing up so fast!
Post a Comment