Sunday, March 8, 2009

You Asked, I Deliver!


Arroz à Portuguesa (Portuguese Style Sticky Shrimpy Rice)

(I apologize in adavance that I really don't measure anything, I "eyeball" and taste)


1 pkg sticky rice (arbario)
1/2 to 3/4's cup chunky spaghetti sauce
2 containers of low-sodium chicken stock
crushed garlic
1/2 onion cut up
some chouriço sliced (but for the school that day I just used turkey pepperettes)
broccoli florets (cut small)
carrot slices (cut thin)
bay leaf (optional)
1 jalapeno pepper (will later be removed)
1 tsp paprika
extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
cooked shrimp with tails removed (made separately from pre-cooked shrimp in just olive oil, garlic and a little hot sauce

)
In a good sized pot, heat the EVOO and add the garlic, onion, broccoli, carrots, chouriço and let sautee until onion translucent
add pkg of rice and stir up
add the chicken stock, paprika and a seeded jalapeno pepper and bring to a boil
reduce heat to simmer and add the tomato sauce and bay leaf
(remove pepper if you don't want things to get too spicy)
done when rice is sticky and soft (taste as it's being made, add salt and pepper to taste. if the rice is sucking up too much liquid as it's cooking, add a little water)
then add the shrimp you cooked up and mix well (cooked chicken could also be added, if you like)
The rice will be a light orangey pink with touches of green (the broccoli) , smell heavenly and be sticky.
Serve with salad , or anyway you like.

According to Malía, this is "e'icious"! and she had it cold :)


Serves MANY! (LOL)

3 comments:

Sebrina Wilson said...

mmm this sounds so yum!!! Gonna try it :)

Single PAP said...

ooh, thanks! will try.

Jennifer said...

That sounds SOOOO delicious!