Thursday, February 26, 2009

Prank?

I followed a cop car into the school parking lot this morning to find an ambulance and EMS truck already there. By the time I parked, 2 firetrucks were pulling in.
My first thought- we're having a drill.
But, as soon as I got out I saw a cluster of teachers and kids near the football field.
Bomb threat.
Luckily, the caller had left a message at 5 minutes past midnight allowing for it to be heard at 7:15am, and so the school went on lock down before the busses began to arrive.
We herded the kids a km down the road to a public sports complex (the busses were diverted there, too). We've had about 3 threats in the last 3 or 4 years, and are usually back inside within an hour. Not so this time, and by hour number 2,in this age of instant communication, the kids had called parents, relatives, guardians whomever they could find to come take them home and only a handful of kids were left by 1pm when we were allowed to go back.
Apparently the caller threatened that there were 4 bombs and wanted to blow Catholic Education sky high.
The K-9 unit came in from 2 hours away, and my guess is they found nothing, otherwise we wouldn't have been back in, period.
Having to sit/stand/hang out for 5 1/2 hrs has me more tired than a regular day, so I am glad that tomorrow is a PD Day- no kids in.
Strangely enough, not one media truck came to cover the story, but glad too b/c I was having a bad hair (and big butt!) day. :)

3 comments:

Calico Sky said...

"I was having a bad hair (and big butt!) day"

Oh how I can relate!!!!

Glad you are all safe!

Unknown said...

These things freak me out. How do you deal?? Glad all is well
Noelle

Playful Platypus said...

Glad all is well. In fall 2007 in this city we had a real rash of prank calls - maybe 15 or 20 or more in the month of September, leading to lock downs all over the place. At real cost to the police, who had to deal with each as a real emergency, even though by the 15th or 20th call they were pretty sure it was just another prank - but you can't take that risk. They finally developed some other measures to deal with it (including not publicizing, so no prankster would get their media kick) and I think finally found and charged a few kids. It was pretty bad, though thankfully nothing (in terms of real "events") ever happened.