Saturday, February 28, 2009

Confession


Various members of my family, men and women, alike, are/have been addicted to telenovelas (the nightly soaps from Portugal) but I had remained immune. Partially b/c I don't have satellite and partially b/c I had never caught an episode that appealed to me.
But then, this summer it happened- I watched an hour of Feitico_de_Amor (basically "Spell of Love") and that was it. Every night, I had to be sure I was home and Mal was sleeping so that I could get my fix.

Then, tragedy- the summer was over and we came home. And, horror of horrors, it was not one of the series carried by satellite, so couldn't even splurge and get a dish!

But, like any addict worth her salt, I found other ways to feed the need, to stay caught up with online episode synopses (detailed, thank goodness)and even youtube clips.

I may not be able to watch an episode in all its soapy glory, but I can stay in the know, and didn't have to quit the sagas of life in Porto, Lisboa and even my home area, Aveiro, cold turkey. I didn't have to say "adeus" to Alice, Gabriel, Henrique, or any of those juicy twists and turns of life in constant melodrama (um, my own life nothwithstanding :).

And, there is an unexpected perk- all that reading has expanded my Portuguese literacy!

See, who says soaps are nothing but trash? :)

5 comments:

Kimmyann said...

Trash..huh..I am fond of General Hospital myself

Anonymous said...

Hey I learned some of my best life management skills from soaps. The one real problem I found is that I couldn't cut to a commerical ;)

onemorebaby said...

Ha! If that is a vice, I could think of worse! BTW- I "awarded" you on my blog! (don't worry, you don't have to answer 698 questions!)

The Warren Family said...

I was just watching the Ellen video posted on the side of your blog..the "I love Jesus but I drink a little"...heheh too funny!

B said...

: ) My friend Sally's Mom watches her Spanish soaps religiously. I can't understand what they're saying..but they seem very passionate about whatever it is! : )