Some parents disagree with colouring books on the basis that making kids stay in the lines, etc stunts creativity. This book, with its perfect prototype page, is even more "chaining", I guess.
I bought it (in Portugal- I have never seen anything like that here) b/c Mal wanted Pinocchio, but as you can see she is using it solely as a place to splash her colours right now. Sometimes I colour with her, and though I stay in the lines, MY Jiminy Cricket might be purple. I am raising a rebel, you see! ;)
PS: Yes, the hair IS bed head! :)
8 comments:
I had an instructor in college, my freshman year, who gave us a passionate lecture (she was almost in tears) about using coloring books with children. She was adamantly opposed for the reasons you listed.
I prefer open ended activities for sure, but I see nothing wrong or damaging in letting your child color in a coloring book.
I think it is more the expectation of perfection that is stunting - i.e. requiring kids to stay in the lines; encouraging them to use colors accurately reflected in real life (no purple crickets); or holding them to a standard where they make exact copies of teacher prepared art work.
I find coloring books relaxing especially when my mind needs to be contained :)
Wow, I didn't realize that there were people who thought colouring books could be damaging! That blows me away!
My kids have never really liked coloring books. I wouldn't say I am against (that seems funny to me). I give me kids lots of blank paper, colored paper and white, scissors, crayons, paints, empty Kleenex boxes, empty toilet paper rolls ect. and they have tons of fun creating stuff with that. But hey I can't imagine the occasional coloring book could hurt anyone :)
You will find that someone will disagree with just about every activity on the planet. I see nothing wrong with them.
I meant "I give MY kids" not "I give ME kids" hehehehehe
She looks way too old. :( Where's the baby diva? She looks like she ready to do her taxes!
She looks like a grown up little girl sitting there!
I had no idea there was anyone who thought coloring books were bad... wow!
I'm with Kimmyann!!! She looks so darn cute coloring away!
Post a Comment