Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Mali's Musings




I know I am supposed to be asleep, but it is not uncommon for me to pop out of bed at least twice before I get read the riot act of sleep, and even then it'll happen a couple more times before morning, so I thought I'd be productive while I'm up and and do some blogging in Mama's place. Just don't tell her because I am not supposed to touch the computer by myself, k?

So, what's new in our world?


Mama likes to say not a whole lot, but then she remembers that many words are new- many, many words. And, short sentences. It is so neat to be able to say stuff and have people actually understand what I want! I guess my pronunciation isn't perfect sometimes, though, b/c the other day Vó-Vó made me a bottle of lacto-free milk (leitinho) when really I just wanted another kiss (beijinho). Mama understands me about 80% of the time, though, in both languages, and when she doesn't, she keeps encouraging me until I say it again, or give her more info so that she can figure it out. Like tonight, we were cuddling in bed after my stories (Llama Llama has to be the last one read EVERY night, or I keep asking for it like I'm on a sound loop :) when I asked Mama to sing "Below, Below" (as in 'she's gone where the goblins go, below, below, below") but Mama didn't know what I meant b/c to her I guess it sound like be-ho, be-ho. Well, she guessed at a few things, all wrong, and finally I just said, "whish i' dead". When I heard her sing "Ding, dong, the witch is dead, I knew we'd made contact! See how smart my mama is?

As for the Wizard of Oz- that is my new most favourite thing ever, Mama says it's my obsession, but I really don't see what Calvin Klein perfume has to do with it! I just like Dorothy, and the Scarecrow, the Tin Man, oh and the Cowardly Lion! Really, I like everybody and all of the music (I can sing lots of it if you sing it with me). I've made Mama sing "Rai'bow" close to one hundred times since she took me to see the stage production last week. I had my own seat, sitting up nice and tall between our neighbour, Auntie Debbie and Mama b/c she'd brought my travel booster and a throw pillow . I paid attention for 3 whole hours! Mama was so proud of me b/c I was so good and I knew to clap at the end of each scene. I love applause myself, so of course I figured everybody on stage would, too, right? Oh, and even though Mama put a pull-up on me "just in case", I stayed dry the whole evening, and only asked to go during intermission. :)

Since then, I have watched the Wizard of Oz on TV, on video twice and talk about it a lot. Our conversations usually go something like this:

Me: Mama, Dorothy crying.

Mama: Is she baby? She's sad b/c she wants to go home.

Me: Yeah, home. Crying. Dorothy wed shoes.

Mama: Yes, the ruby slippers, and she'll click them together 3 times and go home.

Me: The'we no pace ike home.

At which point Mama lets out a big belly laugh, but I don't see what's so funny.

Now, I do have one confession- Mama has to be sitting right there with me when the bad witch comes on, or the Wizard head. I didn't mind them on stage, but in the movie, they're kind of scary. Still, if Mama tries to turn it off and put on Treehouse, or something, instead, I get very vocal and might even tantrum (yeah, what can I say, I'm a bit of a drama princess), holy cow ,Diego is soooo last year, you know?

I have a birthday coming up; I'm going to be two. Mama says she's going to stay home and make it a special day just for us, and then at night we'll have my Godmom and Ti-Tios over, with Primo K and of course my Vô-Vô's. There's soooo many other people that would want to come, but she says if she keeps it small and intimate, just immediate family, it will be more special. It's okay b/c I know I get to bring cupcakes to daycare the next day! My dress came in the mail today, and Mama has booked my annual pictures. She'd wanted an outside photo shoot, but the weather is getting pretty nippy not to be all covered up.

Actually, the cooler weather doesn't bother me. I love being outside and since I also love hats, scarves and mitts and wouldn't dream of taking them off (sometimes even after we come in) Mama doesn't mind taking me out there. Today, we played on the little and big swings and I tried the biiiiig, tall spiral slides, too! One made me pick up so much speed, I flew off the end, but somehow I landed on my feet, so it was all good.
As for Little Sista, as Mama calls her on here, nothing new. We're still waiting, and it will be a long time, I guess. That's okay with me b/c I am not so good at sharing laps and the arms of loved ones with babies, these days. I like little ones, fine, but somehow they're cuter at a distance, or just playing with my toys. We pray for LS every night and Mama has about 4 names she's considering right now, so I am starting to get confused. I do know she'll be from "E'opia" and I am beginning to understand that, that's where I first came from, too, b/c when I bring Mama the dvd of our time there, that's how I ask for it to be shown: "E'opia peese Mama". I love watching it.

Well, as I often tell Mama, "I ti-ert", so I'd better go back to bed, now. If I ask for my "muhica" (musica), I know Mama will put Paul Potts or Andrea Botcelli on my cd player quietly. I like to rock it out during the day, but at night, those are my boys, right now.

So, my dumping cups and cups of water out of the bath tonight while Mama went to get the cordless phone and my crazy sleep (um, non-sleep) habits, aside, Mama says I am her beautiful, amazing, perfect, oh so smart and funny baby girl. I like that.

Goo'night,

Ma'ía (and btw, I can now say my last name with that, too! :)

PS: Mama says, "Vote Obama!" :)

4 comments:

twondra said...

That was really cute. :)

S AND C said...

I love the Wizard of Oz too :-)
It could be worse something like Barney.

Almost 2 wow!

Unknown said...

so so cute! Love it!

B said...

HA HA, okay Malia. I will vote Obama just for you. : ) Many kisses for you both.