According to the ticker on my sidebar, today marks 5 months since my dossier landed in Ethiopia.
The last time within 5 months I had:
Got Kaia's referral (in ONE day)
Lost my little girl
Got Malía's referral
Got Malía into my arms
And was already almost a month into my 9 1/2 week stay in Ethiopia!!
Things have definitely changed and wait times to referral seem to be averaging a little over 9 months for a baby girl, under 14 months at the time of placement.
I am finding this wait so different with Malia changing and growing every time I bat my eyes for a moment, so I am not antsy yet. However, I am concerned that the new court procedures imposed by MOWA (Ministry of Women's Affairs) in Ethiopia could lengthen the time from referral to a Little Sista's being officially mine, and so lengthen the time to bringing her home after we have seen her precious face.
Basically, with the ever increasing popularity of Ethiopia as a choice for International Adoption, the gov't has moved in to tighten the reigns. Effective immediately that can also mean a court procedure in the child's sector of birth, and verified information on the birthfather, as well as the standard court procedure (currently the only requirement) in Addis Ababa. The birthmother/family have to appear in both courts.
Since this is so new, and no one from our agency has yet had to work through the additional red tape in their wait to have their child legally theirs, the agency has no idea if the delay could mean an additional 2 weeks, or 2 months, since each separate requirement could possibly need 2, 3 ,even 4, court appearances. Not to mention that many times there is no information on the birthfather available, or at least disclosed.
Once I have seen my child, I know that the focus will be one thing- get her home. But, my hands will be tied. I can already feel my wrists chafing to get free of those bonds and just hold her.
Mal was from Addis, proper- hopefully Little Sista will also be, and if I have interpreted the communique correctly, then she will only need the Addis court, and not the rural addition.
So, on this Genna (Ethiopian Christmas) we celebrate that 1/2 of the wait is behind us and just feel grateful that we have each other. :)
7 comments:
I can't believe it has been 5 months already! Time flied when you are not he one waiting. My total wait for waiting for my referral of gabbi to her arriving home in Canada was just under 6 months....and I thought that was too long!
Ugh. I hate waiting. I'm not good at. I figured, with Ava, that God was trying to teach me some patience. I don't think I got it. I'm afraid that I'm going to be just as bad when we do this again....
P.S. Good luck tomorrow. :)
Think I'm going to keep your little waiting angel hanging somewhere for you to remind me to send you positive thoughts and prayers during your wait.
How well I remember the stress Sebrina went through. But as you have learned with Malia "good things ARE worth waiting for". Hang in there. Hugs Barb xo
That's got to suck but the wait will be so worth it in the end!!! Hang in there, Mal will be a big sis soon!!! :o)
I know it will be worth the wait!!!
Glad to hear you are half way there. Little sista is most likely already born or going to be born very soon most likely huh?
You know I am with you on this incredible journey! Wow, on my end your 5 months has sped away, I am sure your end feels a little different. I am so excited and so happy for your family! How wonderful!!!
Post a Comment