Monday, January 19, 2009

"So help me God"


By now, regardless of where one resides on this planet (likely even a remote corner of the Congo, or a Haitian slum) it is known that tomorrow is an historic occasion- Barack Obama's inauguration. It is causing, as well it should, a huge stir, and one way is with the aetheist population which is taking great exception to Obama's choice of the words "so help me God" to conclude his oath. There are even lawsuits to try and stop him from doing so.
To me this is absolute insanity. I mean if he was being forced to use the words against his will, there would be point to fighting it, but the man is choosing to do so. He has contacted Chief Justice John Roberts and made it clear he wants them in. HE is the one taking the Oath, and HE believes in God (which, in and of itself, as a word, is a generic, all inclusive, term anyway), so let the man pledge to the Higher Power that, for him, will keep him in check- faithful and honest in this position of trust and power.
If that peeves off the aetheists, so what? No one is asking them to believe, or to take the Oath. They're being hypocritical b/c they're trying to take away the right to freedom of belief when that is exactly what they want for themselves.
Interestingly enough, I have an American 20 dollar bill right in front of me- plain as day, across the top it reads, "In God We Trust". How many aestheists do you know that refuse to earn/use/spend US currency?
Hmmmm...


6 comments:

Danielle said...

Good point L! I'd love to hear someone's argument about the money making reference to God! I bet they'll still spend it! LOL!

I am not a religious person but I do agree with you. If that's what he believes and that is what he chooses to say, then that's what he should say. I'm just so excited to watch the Inauguration tomorrow!

Kimmyann said...

I agree it's pretty stupid to try and stop him from using it. If he wanted to say So help me big bird would they be happy then?

Sebrina Wilson said...

Great point L.

Unknown said...

I love that picture of him....

Good point.

B said...

Very good point. I've never had someone turn away my money because of what it said..or even because it was a big,butch lesbian giving it to them. Funny where people try to draw the line.

Barb said...

Thought provoking post L. Well said. Barb