Thursday, January 8, 2009

Oh Maaaan!




When I posted the pic of Malía sleeping in I had no idea it would anger the blog gods, but sure enough, that night and the night that followed were nights of sleep deprivation hell, Then, last night, a miracle occured- she fell asleep stretched on on me at about 6:45, I put her into bed, and did NOT wake until 6am!! I now know what lucky Mama's with marathon sleepers experience, and was an instant addict. I wanted more, MORE!
But, alas, even wearing the same pj's, following the same routine to the letter from last night, yielded nothing but a wide awake Mal.

Then, when I thought she was finally asleep I heard the pitter patter of little feet and it went down hill from there:

Mama: Mali, get back to sleep.
Mal: Mama, I scar't.
Mama: Scared? Of what, baby?
Mal: Swiper
Mama: (picking her up and putting her in bed) Swiper? You mean the fox?
Mal: Yeah, da fox.
Mama: (trying not to laugh) Why honey? He can't hurt you, he's only on TV.
Mal: He swipe Dorot'y.
Mama: (lying besider her with Dorothy btwn us) Oh, but he can't do that. See, Dorothy has red shoes, magic shoes. Nobody can take her away from you b/c her shoes will protect her.

(this appeases her for about 5 seconds)

Mal: (snuggling in really close) Mama?
Mama: Yes, baby?
Mal: Swiper is swiping. (her "is" sounds like "ees" :)
Mama: Okay let's say it 3 times, ready? (I start and she joins in) Swiper no swiping! Swiper no swiping. Swiper no swiping!!
Mama: See, he's gone now. He's gone back to Dora and Boots.
Mal: No, I scar't.
Mama: (figures the logical approach might work) Malia, Swiper is a cartoon, honey. He is not real. You see him only on TV and when we shut it off, he goes away. Now, Mama is going to go put Khobi out. Go to sleep, k? (anything to do with caring for Khobi usually allows me to get up and let her fall asleep- not this time)
Mal: No! No Khobi out, no. No pee-pee Khobi. Mama, go sleep here. (pats pillow)
Mama: Listen, do you want to go to Mama's bed until you fall asleep?
Mal: Yes p'ease! And Dorot'y and Toto.
Mama: (amusing only herself) Okay, but I draw the line at Munchkins.

(I get about 4 ounces of warm soy milk, her "leitinho",and put her in my bed, then tell her I am going to the washroom)

About 5 minutes later-

Mal: Mama?
Mama: (from the computer/laundry room) Yes, Mal?
Mal: Mama!
Mama: (coming into the room and noting that it's well past 9 o'clock) Honey, what is is now?
Mal: Is Swiper.
Mama: Not again.
Mal: (holding up the bottle) He try swipe my leitinho!
(Mama gives up and lies with her until she is truly asleep.)

As Swiper would say- oh maaaan!
**note, Mal doesn't sleep in the buff- the pics were taken right after her bath :)

4 comments:

Sebrina Wilson said...

hahahahaha this is so funny :)

Barb said...

This really made me laugh, however I'm sure you weren't chuckling during this conversation.

Unknown said...

She has you wrapped around her lil finger huh? so cute!

Michelle said...

Got your email this morning. Im trying to email you back but my email is not working!! Grrr.

Kayla is one of those Marathon sleepers! She goes tto bed at 8, eats at 3 am goes right back to sleep until 6-7!