Sunday, January 4, 2009

There, but for the Grace of God...


This is Renee Williams, and in 2007, at 29, she weighed over 900 lbs.

She had battled her weight ALL her life, then at 25, when her leg was crushed in a car accident and she became bed bound for a while, she ate herself to the point where she was then permanently bed bound.

At 29, she entered Renaissance Hospital, the only hospital in the world designed to deal with the "super morbidly obese" to undergo treatment and gastric bypass. She knew it was her only chance to lead a normal life one day and to properly parent her two daughters- then ages 11 and 13, I believe.

She lost 40 pounds in her 1st 12 days following the surgery and then died.... of the very thing she had been hoping to outwit- a heart attack.

I look at Renee, and I see myself. Oh no, I am not this weight- not even 1/3 of that, praise God. But, I KNOW this could be me sooooo easily. I, too, use food as my "drug" of choice. I, too, never quite feel "full" until it's too late b/c of the way I have stretched my stomach and screwed with my metabolism from years of up and down dieting. I, too, have an intense love (sometimes hate) relationship with food, I too, can just eat without thinking and before I know it have the whole bag of pretzels gone etc. I, too, don't move enough. I, too, have battled all my life. And, now, am 5 pounds away from the heaviest I have ever been- AGAIN.

Lately, I am sooooo tired. Like a beyond normal tired, and if I could (Mali prevents that in a big way, believe me :), I think I'd take to my bed and just stay. Period.
So, having watched Renee's story (Half Ton Mom), plus 2 others (Half Ton Teen and Half Ton Dad) as aversion therapy, armed with the knowledge of what my own problems are in this area, buoyed by a New Year, scared silly of having my too big ass in a too tight plane seat on the way to Ethiopia, scared even more of one day losing my mobility (knees and feet are loudly protesting these days), I am trying again.

What this time, you ask with a sigh?

Nutrisystem- I ordered a month's worth of meals, yesterday.

I did this back in the late 80's when there was a NS office 40 minutes away- it worked. With a little Grace, it shall work again.

18 comments:

Kendra said...

Hey, Sounds like a good plan. Stay positive and keep chasing after that little cutie, you will get there!

veggiemom said...

Good luck! You can do it!!!

Anonymous said...

:-( I watched those shows the other night as well. I must not have watched the end of hers because I had no idea she died. Your post was a little bit of a shock. So sad.
Good luck to you!!!!!

Michelle said...

It does sound like a plan. I wish you much luck so you can feel better about yourself.

Anonymous said...

Right there with you! Just take it one day at a time.

Barb said...

L, All the best of luck, I send positive thoughts your way. I too struggle with using food as my drug of choice and constantly fight my weight.

However, I have given up the "have to lose weight" mentality and instead replaced it with "have to be healthy" mentality. I am still about 25-30 lbs overweight, but if that's where my weight wants to stay that's okay as long as I am reassured that I am eating as well as I can and taking care of myself.

Hope my insights help you along your journey. Again good luck!

Barb xo

Danielle said...

Good Luck L!! You can do it! Zia and I will be rooting for you!

Sebrina Wilson said...

Good Luck L. !!!! Sending you all my strength!

Kathryn said...

If you want support from others there's a great website at sparkpeople.com. H and I just joined their January bootcamp group and are trying to add more exercise to our days. It's not easy and we can both find so many reasons why not to do it!
Good luck!

Playful Platypus said...

Good luck, I'll be rooting for you! I know it's not easy (and I've never been badly overweight, just a little, but even that can be a challenge to lose). Here's hoping for good news in the month(s) to come!

Tarah said...

Oh L,
I think everyone struggles with this. I have started running 4 times a week with my girlfriends in hopes of loosing some weight.

I know you will do great.

Blessings
Tarah

Rebecca said...

I'm right there with ya, sister. I'm rootin' for you!!
P.S. I was catching up on your previous posts and all I can say is that you two chicks are crazy!! CRAZY!! HaHa...get it? I wonder where she picked that up? And, the clothes in the bathtub...priceless! :)

Natalie and Chris said...

The best part of all this is that you aren't giving up, you are trying again, and you will do it, as long as you have your mind set. Good luck, i'm cheering you on from this corner

Kimmyann said...

Good Luck, funny you should blog this..yesterday I was thinking about joining weight watchers? Don't know yet though..

Anonymous said...

Good for you!

Sarah said...

Oh this post is close to my heart today... I'm an emotional eater and the holidays made me crazy- again! I was my heaviest in Ethiopia after having eaten my adoption stress away...
I think just having posted this will help you. It can be a fresh start and wearing a little of our frustrations on the outside can be helpful- at least I've found!
Good luck and remember to be kind to yourself.

B said...

You can do it. I have the same issues, and use food as a crutch when I shouldn't. I'm trying too, so hopefully we can lend each other some support along the way.

Louise said...

Okay- I have loved your last few posts. Cried AGAIN over your reposting of baby LOVE. SO well written!! Love Malia in her hohoho coat!! She IS divine!!!
Okay weight baby??? You go girl--you can do it. I started a biggest Loser at work in Sept and the competition betwn co-workers has been helpful.Today was our weigh in form Christmas.
I know you have it in you!!