Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Week One: The High Price of Gas

So, as of this morning, one week of being on a food plan down.

The good news: I was down 6.2 pounds. (I weighed wearing exactly the same thing to be sure)

(warning: you may want to quit reading right here)

The semi-bad news: Nutri-System gives me gas!! Oh I am not talking a few harmless, toots. I am talking about the kind that even he who dealt them wants to run from. It's not all the food, but anything that has to be reconstituted like dehydrated soups, etc (about 80% of the lunch options) goes down just fine, but then has some kind of gastro-party that turns deadly about 3 hours later, and the, um, effects do not subside for hours! I was trying very hard to keep Mal Nutri-bomb free and so kept running off into the bathroom or laundry room. Not sure if helped- she still announced that there was a "stinky" and had a match been lit anywhere in the house those nights, I am sure we'd still be orbiting the moon!

So, after 3 days of this "condition", and reading nutri-system labels only to find that most of the ingredients must either be written in code, or be highschool chemistry terms, I decided that I was going to be on plan, BUT, with my own food about 1/2 the time. I used the NS stuff as a three-dimensional guide to type of food, calorie count and portion size, followed the add a protein here, a fruit there, a bunch of veggies here, etc that they have you supplement with, and got through my first week on plan! Oh, I confess, I did have some small cheats like some microwave popcorn, a few christmas mint hershey kisses (actually a perk b/c then gas doubles as air freshener) a couple of cookies on Sunday with a coffee, but NOTHING like I was doing before and I stayed aware of those calories and how they fit into my day.

So, I did okay. I say just okay b/c though 6.2 lbs is good, I know a lot had to be pre-period puff (bloat) since I started that fun time yesterday.

I have noticed one significant change in my, though. For the past year, I would do a good day, then cheat, or "reward" the good with bad, or just say, I'll start again tomorrow and give in to whatever for the rest of the day/week/month! This time, I haven't done that. I have a small conscious "extra" and then leave it at that.

I really hope this is it- I have been working hard to reset my thinking- I want to be a healthy, slimmer Mama to my girl(s). I want to feel good about me.

17 comments:

Jeanie said...

Congrats on a successful week. 6.2lbs whether just bloat or not is an amazing number and better yet the change in thinking...can't say I'm quite there yet, I've made a few small changes..more water, less coffee and more vegetables but still too many treats. Good problem solving with substituting the nutrisystem food with your own. In the long run this is probably better because there will be less chance of regaining the weight once you stop the nutrisystem diet. Gobez ! I got your email about going to dinner in London. I'm busy the next few weekends but we can chat about it at the Cambridge get together if you are going.

Barb said...

L, loved this post. You made me sit and laugh out loud. Don even asked what the heck was so funny. (didn't tell him). Anyhow, being a girl with shall we say flatulence problems myself, I completely understand, although I must say I've never run away from one of my own.

Anyhow on a more serious note - congrats on the 6.2 lbs. You go girl. Barb

Jenn said...

Regardless of the 6.2 being bloat or whatever its still awesome!

I made a conscios choice back in September to get healthy, not just for me but for my kids as well. I want to be around for the long haul.

You go girl!

Sebrina Wilson said...

You are too funny!! Congrats on the 6.2 pounds! Thats a big deal! Have you ever heard of the flat belly diet? It's pretty much a Mediterranean diet but it seems fairly easy to follow and the food is healthy and delicious.
http://www.amazon.ca/Flat-Belly-Diet-Liz-Vaccariello/dp/1594868514/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231929383&sr=8-1

Anonymous said...

I have found that whatever they use as a thickener (for soups or sauces or such) is lethal for me. Can't do most pre-prepared foods, diet or otherwise, because of that. Maybe that's what got you...

Mama Papaya said...

I love kids. Way to call you out. After all the diapers you have changed for her. For shame. Blame the dog Malia. Blame the dog.

Congratulations on the 6.2!

Unknown said...

Congrats and good luck!

Playful Platypus said...

Congrats on the 6.2 and more to come! It's hard, real hard, and the change of mind-set is crucial. As long as those extras are conscious you stand a chance of keeping it up after, too. And as Jeanie said, doing the substitutes now may help with sticking to it later, too. Fingers crossed here! (And nose closed, ha ha...)

B said...

Gastro party L? HA HA HA HA...love it!

Anonymous said...

Good Job! I hear ya on the gas part. All the fiber intake has been killing me. Hubby and I are doing this together, so I need to air out our bedroom ;-)

The Turgeon Expansion said...

Great work!!! 6.2 lbs is wonderful :) I'm down almost 22 lbs with Weight Watchers (well, we went to Cuba so I'm probably up again) but you feel so much better lighter!

As for the gas, well, you can turn down the heat in your house this week, LOL!!

Aimee said...

Congrats on the 6.2lb weight loss!!! Sorry Nutrisystem is giving you gas! It's probably detoxing your system! :o) Keep up the good work!

Kimmyann said...

Funny post..
Congrats on the 6.2 lb weight loss.
Maybe you can blame swiper on the gas?

Tarah said...

Great job!!!
I have been trying hard to get healthier, and gas just comes along with it.
Face it, skinny girls must fart A LOT!!!! :)

I am proud of you Petunia. :) What a great week you have had.
PS you and I are on the same line. I lost the SAME weight in one week. We should have a contest.

Louise said...

Congrats on the 6.2!! That's great!!And thanks for sharing so honestly. This past week -our first week back to Biggest Loser has been a write off for me, but I am going to pick up your attitude of just keep going. Way to go!!

tnt5150 said...

Stay on the Nutrisystem plan!!! Teh nutri-toots will go away after your body adjust ot the foods, but you can take Beano or something in the mean time. The plan really works if you stick to it and i know you want to be sucessful!

Anonymous said...

What great progress!!! I'm giggling at your "side effect". My friend pegged that with the term "Nutri-toots" when she was doing this diet. :)